4/20 entry!

I found the interview on Sebastian Junger to be very interesting. I thought it was very interesting how he talked about just going out and looking for stories. He didn't really have an assignment he just went and found stuff on his own. He said that he was clueless and would just go out with people who knew what they were doing. I found it really cool how he talked about just getting in a car and driving out West by himself to hang out with smoke jumpers. He had no assignment and no contract he just really wanted to go and write about them. I admire that he was able to go and do that. I don't know if I would have the courage to not have an assignment, but just go out all on my own and follow people to write a story. I think that is really interesting that he goes and does that.

I liked the reading in Telling True Stories a lot. One thing that I liked was when Jim Collins talks about making it as a freelancer. He says that, "while getting started as a freelancer, you must spend as much time pitching stories (and accepting rejection) as you do writing them" (264). I found that to be helpful, because a lot of times writing can cause you to get discouraged and that advice lets you know that you will be turned down, but you need to keep going with your writing and keep pitching your stories. Another thing that I really liked is when Susan Orlean talks about the physical and emotion discomfort that a narrative writer may face. She says that when she is out reporting she often times wants to just give up and go home, but she forces herself to stay, which she is then able to find a story (285). I liked this part, because it reassures me that it is okay to feel that discomfort. I have experienced that in my reporting and writing II class. It is so hard to go out there and talk to people, but you have to force yourself. Once you force yourself you are able to put your story together and you are glad that you actually did it. I wonder how long it takes for someone to be comfortable with the whole reporting aspect of journalism? Then again, do they ever or is it something that you just have to deal with if you have a passion for writing? Overall I thought this reading was helpful and interesting.

I completely agree with you. People like Junger are needed in the journalism field. Young reporters need to practice this while they are going in to the professional field. Don't just let your boss tell you what your story is. Drive. Walk. Talk. Find your own story. As we have all learned while being taught under Hatcher, they are out there. Everyone has them.

I agree with you, Megan. I wrote my blog about how Jim Collins said that freelancers need to get as used to pitching stories as they are to getting rejected. The fact that the financial aspect and success of freelancers is so uncertaint almost makes me feel discouraged as a journalist. But the only way to ensure your success is to keep trying and keep pitching stories and don't give up. I thought that Collins' provided some good tips on how to be a successful freelancer.

This page contains a single entry by hayes256 published on April 20, 2010 1:10 PM.

Helpful advice in last chapter was the previous entry in this blog.

Writing something I'm proud of is the next entry in this blog.