dealing with the ups and downs of freelance writing

I enjoyed reading the interview with Sebastian Junger. I found his ambition to be inspiring. It's great that he likes journalism so much that he takes the risk of writing his pieces first and then sends it around, even though, according to his agent, "You don't do it like that; you don't write it first." I admire Junger's determination to succeed in this manner. I know I would be apprehensive about writing my pieces prior to getting a contract because it seems like working like that would be a huge financial risk. I would be worried that no one would like my work and then I would have wasted a valuable amount of time working on a piece that made me no financial gain. I also thought it was very humble of Junger to worry that all the money he is now making will take away from the incentive of writing. That shows that Junger really does have a passion for journalism.

I found Jim Collin's piece, Making it as a freelancer, from Telling True Stories to relate to Sebastian Junger's journalistic methods because it focused on how to be a successful freelance writer. Collins started out his piece by acknowledging that "freelancing as a narrative writer hasn't ever been an easy way to earn a living" (264). It almost seems discouraging at first because he states that freelancers need to spend just as much time pitching stories as they do accepting rejection. Although, I know that Collin's piece wasn't meant to turn people away from freelancing; he was just being honest. Conversely, I found his suggestions at the end of the piece to be motivating. He makes it very apparent that he doesn't want freelancers to give up. He tells the readers not to let rejection bother them and I think that's very important because often times when people get rejected they start to lose hope and quit writing.

I agree with what you said about the Collin's piece. It seems like he was saying, it's too hard so don't try, but then at the end to continue with our passion of writing. I have definitely felt discouraged when I've been rejected in the past so I think it's important to remember what he tells us that we must continue in order to succeed.

I think it would be very easy to give up and stop a piece after so long. Journalists all have one thing in common he says, he can deal with rejection. At what point does it get to much to comepletly change your views?

I agree that it would be easy to give up, however, if you love what you are doing that should be the drive to keep going. I love writing for class even though I know it wont be published. I think that if you are a "writer" the process of starting and finishing a piece is the best reward, not just getting it published.

This page contains a single entry by pete6725 published on April 19, 2010 8:33 PM.

I am a writer was the previous entry in this blog.

Junger is afraid of money?? is the next entry in this blog.