Helpful advice in last chapter

Freelancing was interesting to read about. I never knew just how much money a writer could make by selling their pieces. As much as I enjoy writing, I don't know that I would have the courage to depend on it as my sole base of income. Actually there's no way I would attempt that. I admire those who do though. I really liked the section that said to write a story only you can write. No other writer is going to have the exact same background or perspective as another. So by talking about past childhood memories, or particular hobbies that the writer enjoys, the story idea would hopefully seem fresh and new to readers. O'Nan's section said that as a writer, you should finish what you start, even if you fall out of love with it. I can relate to this because once I took a break from writing our final project, I lost some of the drive to keep working on it. It was like I pressed pause and had forgotten my train of thought.

I also really liked the Robert Frost quote: "The art of writing is the art of applying the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair." So true. Sometimes I just need to park myself in one spot for what seems like forever just to focus on WRITING and WRITING ONLY. Otherwise it's too easy to get distracted with a million other things I "could" be doing.

I wouldn't want to rely on writing as my sole base of income either. Collins said that freenlancers need to get as used to pitching stories as they are to getting rejected and that almost seemed a little discouraging. Although, some freelancers can make a lot of money off their stories, I would be afraid that I wouldn't be that successful and that my stories would keep getting rejected. I also find it very admirable when people have such a passion for writing that they are willing to take that risk.

I know what you mean, it's really scary to think about submitting your writing to someone that didn't even ask for it, and try to make a living off of that. It's exciting to think about trying, though! Maybe I would do that and have a side job, just in case...

This page contains a single entry by brow2294 published on April 20, 2010 1:09 PM.

take on freelancing was the previous entry in this blog.

4/20 entry! is the next entry in this blog.