Hitler's Ghost

I loved this piece. It was different in that it read almost like a memoir, one man's journey to find out what's up with war. I liked that style-- it might not have been kosher for a newspaper, and it was interesting because it wasn't a memoir of his own life but of his country's journey, but his voice was really strong and lacked that cocky vibe we've gotten from a lot of the other writers in this book. He does write with authority, though. He's earned that with his research, I think. The story resonated with me because my dad's probably the exact same age as this guy-- just missed the draft for 'nam, but his dad was in World War II. Because of that he really has a fascination with that war, he reads books about it and talks about it a lot. I think because his dad never talked about it, he had to find a way to relate to it for himself. The ending was well-written, but a little too high on the ladder of abstraction, to use a term from class. He basically just wrapped everything up by telling us the deepest meaning of his story. I would rather have figured it out on my own. Maybe if he'd ended a few paragraphs early, with the images of he and his friends playing their games, and Hitler's ghost dying... that would have stuck with me better. Just a thought.

This page contains a single entry by haavi010 published on April 15, 2010 2:35 PM.

The Horrors of War was the previous entry in this blog.

War as a story is the next entry in this blog.