Is emotion always appropriate?

Probably my favorite section in part VIII was Jack Hart's 'Storyteller's Lexicon.' We talk about these plot points and storytelling formulas in my playwriting class a lot, and they've been really helpful for me in my writing. I never actively thought about things like complications, climaxes, and dialects until recently. Chekhov's shotgun rule is a great reminder for me, too, because I tend to be TOO detail-oriented, digressing into the unnecessary and cluttered. I also want to try DeGregory's tips, things like "Read the walls" and "Eat lunch alone" and "Talk to strangers." Since I've been taking journalism classes, I find myself doing these things more anyways, trying to find a story everywhere, but it can't hurt to be even more consciously doing this. I guess my question would concern the very first paragraph of the introduction, where they include the very factual, emotionless paragraph about the car crash deaths. It seems like Kramer and Call are making an argument that this is too harsh, disconnected, that nobody talks like this. But would it really be appropriate to write something like that in a conversational tone? I think for things like that, unless they're true narrative pieces where you're talking to the family and giving some background, it's probably more respectful to just give the facts and let people feel what they want to feel about it.

This page contains a single entry by haavi010 published on April 13, 2010 2:49 PM.

4/13 blog entry was the previous entry in this blog.

Nurturing Narratives is the next entry in this blog.