Junger is afraid of money??

I find freelance writing fascinating in that someone can go out and write a story without having a name behind them. I had always thought that reporters simple worked for a newspaper or magazine and because they worked from them, they went out and wrote those stories. This chapter in Telling True Stories completely opened my naive eyes to what journalism really is; telling someone a story. I found Samantha Power's section, Crossing Over: From Advocacy to Narrative the most compelling section. She fully analyzed her book from a readers perspective and what will make a reader pick up her book. I really liked that. My favorite line she said was "Don't ever write a book merely for the sake of having done it; there is plenty of other essential writing to be done." This quote really made me take a step back and think about myself. I have always said I wanted to write a book before I die, but now thinking about I can't see myself having the drive and passion for one particular topic. Maybe I'm too young to even be considering this but it now is a thought I will have to think about.

I found the interview with Sebastian Junger enjoyable as well but couldn't find myself to relate with him as much as some of the authors in Telling True Stories. I do want to pick up a copy of The Perfect Storm and read it now, but I found his approach to life a little interesting. I can understand staying true to yourself, but the way he described receiving a lot of money as a bad thing really puzzles me. Doesn't everyone like money, and he is concerned with having too much of it? hmm. I don't think I could ever have that problem, but I guess that's just me. Anyways, I did like what he said about giving himself time to begin writing a second book, and thought that correlated with some of the authors in Telling True Stories. I get the sense that long narratives take a lot of time and I'm happy to see that Junger isn't going to just hop on another contract to write another book, I suppose part of that is because he really isn't it the whole money thing.

I agree with the Junger thing, it seems that the longest narratives are always truly going to be about time and effort, writing a second book requires you to not be happy with the success or lack thereof of one book or one piece. If it's not about the money, its got to be about the writing.

I was a little puzzled about Junger not wanting the money too. I would be proud of myself for becoming that successful and making that much money off of a piece of my writing. Knowing that my writing was good enough to make that much money, I would feel like people would have more respect for my writing. However, I do understand that Junger is afraid that the money will take all the fun out of writing. If he is always under contract for the big bucks, he won't be as free to do what he wants to do. I find it admirable that he has such a passion for writing and doesn't care as much about the money.

Junger's fear of cash is odd; or at least the way he presented it in the interview. He dreaded it when his agent called to say the book made $100,000 more? Come on. I did respect his explanation for not wanting the money, however. He does have a point. Now that he's "The Perfect Storm Guy" and not just Sebastian Junger, it will be much harder for him to complete credible, journalistic endeavors without simply relying on his Perfect Storm reputation. But still, hating $1.2 million...wow.

This page contains a single entry by renne081 published on April 19, 2010 10:08 PM.

dealing with the ups and downs of freelance writing was the previous entry in this blog.

Telling Troof: Building a Career is the next entry in this blog.