Learn to crave criticism

Kramer and Call's chapter on Narrative in the News Organization gave us, as aspiring journalists, great perspective on narratives place in journalism. Up until this point I hadn't given much thought on how narrative occurs. I've read about how to read, write, and research for narrative but not how it fits into an overall operation. I particularly appreciated Batz and Carrillo's insight regarding their respective working groups. Kiernan's experience working with 64 reporters on the American Airlines story was intriguing as well. I think we often like to think of writing as a solo activity. This chapter gave us much insight on working in groups.

When Harrington described his relationship with the father of a boy who passed away I really got a sense of what he meant by intimate journalism. You really have to be a great reporter to make a source understand exactly what you want from them. When the father asked Harrington, "So you want to konw what I think when I say my prayers in a quiet room," I thought, whoa!, good for you Harrington.

The passage that sticks with me the most is "Learn to crave criticism." I am not always the best at using criticism as a tool to help me. I am quick to judge the person criticizing me and size them up to see if whether or not I should trust them more than myself. Craving criticism will help me to accept it better and accepting the criticism will help me become a better story teller.

I also got the opportunity to read the Pulitzer Prize winning piece on Joshua Bell. I can see why Abel wants to recreate a similar situation. I loved this piece of writing. The writer was able to incorporate history and context with ease. Everything about the story was fluid. I was surprised at how much dialog the writer incorporated into the story. This is something that I am testing out with my narrative piece. I'm not only taking my reader to scene I'm taking them to where I did my reporting (the conversations I had, etc.)

This page contains a single entry by krebs068 published on April 12, 2010 7:02 PM.

Apple iPhone Apps for narrative Journalism? was the previous entry in this blog.

Narrative as a daily habit is the next entry in this blog.