Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous

I have to admit, I was so distracted by the celebrity crazies in this story, that I paid no attention to the quality of writing. I mean, Naomi Campbell is screaming for pink drinks, Barbara Bush is puking outside, and all of the name-dropping is just so glamorous. I'm not quite sure what the point of this story was, but it was vastly entertaining. I'm curious about who this Coco Henson Scales is. Is she a journalist? Is she a waitress/actress? Why is she working here? Is she a freelancer? This was published by the NY Times and I looked for other stuff about her but couldn't find anything. Oh, well. Guess I'll have to wonder.

I guess the best part of Scales' writing for me was the voice. She managed to come off incredibly arrogant while at the same time a little self-deprecating. It was fun to read about this crazy world of the obscenely wealthy and famous from the perspective of someone who's just out to make a little cash so she can buy cute clothes. I didn't get the ending, though. If there was some greater meaning to the "You just figured out how to do your job" line and the shrug-then-walk-away, I totally missed it. It just seemed abrupt and meaningless to me. Anyone have more insight on that?

We student journalists are supposed to know how to research for our articles, but I couldn’t find anything about Coco Henson Scales other than her one and only article. I think we should use a few minutes of class time and see what we can find out about Scales as a class research project. Maybe Mr. Hatcher knows some research techniques that he is willing to share with us?

This page contains a single entry by haavi010 published on April 22, 2010 6:12 PM.

Story about nothing...but it was a fun read/Draft Update was the previous entry in this blog.

Star Jones, Monica Lewinsky and Chad Lowe! Oh my! is the next entry in this blog.