My inner style tree questions every word

On page 202, Dexter Gordon talks about the style tree that is already growing naturally inside you and me. I think that every time that I write an article that I'm slowly growing my own inner style tree.

On page 206, Anne Hull asks us if we are getting to the heart of our subject matter? How should I find my story's emotional center by reporting, thinking, and rewriting? My Lakewalk story's nutgraf is showing my readers what the Lakewalk is, why it was built, how it was built, and how it improves the quality of life for residents and visitors alike. Just how in heck am I supposed to make my readers feel something for a patch of asphalt that is ten feet wide and 6.2 miles long? How do I find the emotional core or engine of my Lakewalk story? Where can I locate two or more people who are willing to debate the benefits of Lakewalk with me and each other?

The first step that I take in writing up an article is by asking myself what information that my end users, my readers, would want to know or find useful. In short, my four ways to get to the heart of my story are Thinking, Reporting, Thinking Again, and Rewriting.

I was deeply impressed by Sonia Nazario's telling us that it took more than one year to write up her story on Enrique's Journey. Child migration where children move from one nation to another on their own was an unknown topic to me and Nazario's story surprised me. Like Nazario, I also find it is difficult to cut words, sentences, and even entire paragraphs that I had invested much time and much effort writing. Readers don't care how much time and effort you had invested in writing, only that you have created the best story you can with the skills and resources you have today.

Tom Hallman's article is about slice-of-life stories. If you want to learn how to write slice-of- life stories that can touch your readers' hearts and minds, please consider watching the television series "To Heart" on the Internet. If you have time for just one To Heart episode for inspiration, I would choose episode five, "Beneath the Blue Sky" that is a story about high school students in a high school sports festival.

Mr. Hallman had a good point when he wrote on page 216, "The key is believing in yourself."

What is it like to start from Lake Place Park, bicycle five miles, stop to eat a Sammy's Special Pizza at their 47 Avenue East restaurant, and then bicycle another five miles back to Lake Place Park? Answer, I got very hungry from my bicycle ride and therefore I ate one of the best pizzas I have ever eaten.

By the way, does anyone listen to their favorite music while writing and editing their stories? What music do you listen to while you write and edit? Today, I'm listening to "Sound Wave of Stellvia."

This page contains a single entry by jbuchana published on April 1, 2010 10:45 AM.

This Books Title is Made for This Chapter was the previous entry in this blog.

Helpful... kinda... blog due 4/1/10 is the next entry in this blog.