"Sometimes only those who remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

What a quote. Throughout the story, I couldn't help but think that maybe it isn't such a bad thing that people have lost track of the war and its atrocities. I mean, do we really want to know some of the terrible events that happened during such an awful time? I know that I don't need to know the details of all the killing my grandfathers may have done. And as I read this I wondered, "so what, people are forgetting painful memories" but then, on page 360, the moral of the story burst forth when Sandlin said, "Sometimes only those who remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Exactly how I felt throughout this piece. Yeah, maybe the general public doesn't know where Okinawa is or who led the invasion of Normandy--but is it that big of a deal? I appreciated the way this story unfolded. An author with a legitimate question, why does no one care about the war anymore, searches for an answer and we learn with Sandlin as he writes; I even reached the same conclusion he did.
It's unfortunate for the thousands of "forgotten" veterans that their good deeds in WWII are no longer glorified or remembered, but I don't think anyone should have a problem with the horrific aspects of war being swept under the carpet.

I disagree with your thesis, as the general public should remember the horrific aspects of World War Two, especially the officially sanctioned crimes of all nations, not just the ones we now label as the bad guys. For example, the sad story of the Japanese American internment must be remembered not only because it was a great injustice, but to stop any other American group from similar savage treatment in the future.

This page contains a single entry by warne208 published on April 15, 2010 3:08 PM.

Losing the Reader was the previous entry in this blog.

Withholding Details is the next entry in this blog.