The shotgun rule, a new addition to my lexicon

Jack Hart's section, "Nurturing Narrative in Newsrooms" struck me as being really sound advice. First he says newsrooms should, ideally, adopt a Hollywood-like understanding of writing to truly create good narrative. Then he bemoans the fact that newspaper writing has become a corporate endeavor, designed only to make money for the paper's owner. Hart had me after two paragraphs. As much as I enjoyed Hart's initial semi-rant and his subsequent advice, I'm consistently astonished by the mixed signals this book sends readers regarding the use of tape recorders. Here, again, Hart recommends using a tape recorder to "overcome the accuracy problems caused by stale notes and overwhelming quantities of material." Ok, but I cannot help but feel as though this is the third or fourth time this book has flip-flopped on this issue--and I know what Sam Cook would say about recorders. I don't use a tape recorder, I don't think I'd like it. But should I be using one? Am I doing myself a disservice by not using one? I don't know, I've been given multiple answers to that now. That said, I did appreciate Hart's advice for the most part, especially the section entitled "A storyteller's lexicon." I particularly enjoy kicker quotes and like logic behind the shotgun rule.

This page contains a single entry by warne208 published on April 13, 2010 1:10 PM.

I already like hanging out in bars, maybe this field IS for me was the previous entry in this blog.

Daily habit or day before habit? is the next entry in this blog.