Use an authoritative and companionable news voice!

Standard news voice reminds me of Dragnet's catchphrase, "Just the facts, ma'am." We student reporters need to learn how to develop our own intimate writing voice that gives our readers the facts, while being "friendly and real" to our readers to retain their interest in an increasingly competitive sea of news outlets. In short, how can our writing style appeal to our readers' brains and their hearts at the same time?

I really liked Lane Degregory's thirteen writing tips. I liked how talking to strangers got her a tip about a man who so loved his coffee that his sons and daughters buried his ashes in a coffee pot. As the only real world person that I personally know that is named Lane is a man, I had assumed that this Lane was also a man. Only a quick check with the "About the contributors" section corrected this mistake.

I also like how the series "Crossing American" in the Seattle Times was written up. I would really love to be a reporter on a tenth anniversary trip from Seattle to New York.

Bob Batz wrote the most important article for us student reporters. Bob Batz suggested many good ideas on how to start up our own narrative reporter groups. Narrative journalism is a good, healthy thing for journalism in general and for our reporting careers in particular.

By the way, one of the most powerful words you can use is the word, imagine. Imagine is a word that triggers your reader to start thinking and to become an active participant in your story.

This page contains a single entry by jbuchana published on April 12, 2010 12:33 AM.

Pretty rough was the previous entry in this blog.

Apple iPhone Apps for narrative Journalism? is the next entry in this blog.