Day 3, Session2

He is talking about their social software projects, including their work in Drupal. He likes Drupal because it allows us to encourage students to develop a "community of practice", each student with a blog that can be syndicated to the home page of the course. He spoke about Axel Bloom's model of usage, to help students self-identify as users (consumers) or as producers.

Their project is called mytoons.com. They had students add their projects to mytoons and then used the social networking opportunities therein to have them review one anothers work. Its very similar to the project we did at USC in YouTube. Their big finding was that usability is important, and unusable sites are not that useful, which is fairly expected, I imagine.

Jott

I just got wise to jott, a multi-media version of twitter. while i don't twitter constantly, i do like to twitter now and again, and i think i may get psyched about doing some jotting. i'm not sure how long the jott message can be...they seem pretty short. it would be cool if i could call from my phone and record an entire yoga class, and have an instant podcast of my class...

Podcasting that actually works, pedagogically

I find this article on allowing students to review, index, and annotate course lectures pretty fascinating for its implications for pedagogy and podcasting. I wonder if it really works, and if anyone is actually using it?