The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe - Expectations.

It seems like a very long time ago that I read CS Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia, in actuality it been at least 20 years and maybe 25. I only read CS Lewis’ works once (unlike Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings which I have read at least a dozen times in that span.)

My Friend Jim has hypothesized that if you read Tolkien’s work first than Lewis’ work will seem like second fiddle and vice versa. I have yet to disappoint him; since I break that mold as I had read Lewis’ work years before Tolkien’s and my sister had to convince me to read Tolkien which made me a “the Geek? that I am today.

Being at least two decades since I have read the novel I don’t remember the details of the story too well. Funny thing is I probably could tell you the outline of every other Sci-Fi/Fantasy Novel I have every written. I don’t plan on re-reading the novel until after I see the movie.

The trailers for Narnia look incredible, but after Episode One I don’t put much stock in trailers any more.

Unlike some other movies based on novels lately the director, Andrew Adamson, had to add details rather than cut them out. I wonder if this is a good or bad thing.

Usually I avoid the user comments and reviews of movies before I see the movie (if I plan on seeing the movie in the open weekend) but not this case, I have seen that 99% of the reviewers like the movie and that scares me. Reviewers usually hate the movies I like.

Posted by jjohnson at 7:35 PM

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

It is nearly impossible for a fourth Harry Potter film not to develop huge expectations from it numerous legions of fans. With dozen of web-sites dedicated the movie has been analyzed and dissected even before it been released.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (GoF in Harry speak) is my least favorite book out of the six that have been released so far; this fact diminishes my expectations of this movie. It should be noted that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (PoA) was my favorite book in the cycle so far and my least favorite movie. So my dislike of the book doesn’t necessarily mean I will hate the movie.
I watch the first three movies on dvd on a regular basis, I saw Sorcerer’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets multiple times in the theater but never truly saw PoA in the theater [My wife went into labor on Friday June 11th while I was the Movie. So I only saw the first half and really had no want to see the rest in the theater]

My first worry if GoF is the longest book being turned into a movie thus far; originally Warner Brothers wanted to create two movies releasing a month (or six) apart, however Alfonso Cuarón, director of PoA, convinced Mike Newell, Director, against it.

Most of the original cast members from the first three movies is back (Micheal Gambon has replaced Richard Harris) so I don’t expect anyone to have to learn their roles as to speak.

Unlike PoA where J.K. Rowling made a number of appearances going on how wonderful the Movie is, she was much more reserved this time, I think is a good sign. If she is less worried that people will like the movie; than it must be better than PoA.

A number of people of who have seen the movie ahead of time remarked how much more dark the movie and and more “adult? oriented than the previous three movies.

I have tended to ignore the fans and reviews in advance and while I don’t expect GoF to win many Oscars I hope to be entertained enough to want to go see it again in the theater.

Posted by jjohnson at 6:19 PM

Serenity - Expectations

Okay, I am going to start with this opening comment I am not a Firefly fanboy. While I watched the show when it aired on Fox I not going to lie and say I like the show very much, it was just a Sci-Fi show so I watched it; I havent bought the DVDs and have not seen the missing episodes. I am not a Josh Wheldon fanboy either, neither Buffy nor Angel nor Alien Resurrection have ever tripped my trigger.

I expect Serenity to please it fan base very much and I expect to see my Fan Boy friends go see the movie a half-dozen times before I will go and see it. The question is can it bring in the 50 to 75 million dollars in the first two weeks to justify a sequel? I doubt it, I would suspect it to be more like 25 to 50 million at most.

The reviews of Serenity are kind of interesting; you can tell who is a fanboy and who isnt based upon their review. And after reading many of them my desire to see Serenity dropped even lower than it already was.

I wonder if I stay home and watch a Rerun of Farscape would I enjoy it more than Serenity?

Posted by jjohnson at 2:24 PM

Kingdom of Heaven -Expectations

Few movies face the mountian of expectations that Kingdom of Heaven does when it opens this weekend.
Kingdom of Heaven is another historic epic by director Ridley Scott who had much success with the release of Gladitor on the same weekend in 2000. Gladiator went on to both Critical acclaim and box office success something many of the most recent epic historical movies cannot claim.
The movie stars Orlando Bloom as a humble blacksmith turned knight during the beginning of the Second Crusade and the collapes of the Crusader state of Jersalem in late twelveth century.
While themovie has a stellar supporting cast (Liam Nesson, Edward Norton, Ulrich Thomsen, Jeremy Irons and Ghassen Massoud) the question being asked can Orlando Bloom be the strong enough in leading roll to bring success.
The movie is already a hit with a number of critics which build my expectations.

Posted by jjohnson at 7:21 PM

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Expectations

I have some pretty high expectations for the feature film version of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Originally from the mind of Douglas Adams, who claimed that he got the idea while lying drunk in an Austrian Field. The Guide revolves around the misadventures of Arthur Dent, you very average guy from somewhere around London England, as he and his friend Ford Prefect Hitchhike across the Galaxy after destruction of the Earth. The guide has appeared in eight different incarnations and each one is different from the others. Originally the Guide was a Radio Play, than a book, than a BBC miniseries and than another Radio Play, a very early computer game (i.e. text only), a stage show and finally a towel. The ninth version is the feature film.
There have been at least three attempts to turn the box into a movie the closes was in 1983 when Ivan Reitman almost directed it staring Bill Murray as Arthur, Dan Aykroid as Ford and Jim Belushi as Zaphod or something like that. A second attempt was made in the late 1990s starring Hugh Laurie and Jim Carrey.
The movie is being produced by Columbia Tristar (i.e. Disney) and is one of the first potential blockbusters of the Summer Season, yeah it is only May 1st but we are talking Hollywood. The movie is opening to mix reviews from the regular critis, which make it a little difficult to know exactly what to expect. As a Disney movie I dont expect it to move to far away from the Mainstream, but the Guide is all about the ubsurd.

Posted by jjohnson at 6:03 PM