Mitch Mastey Writing Response #2

As I was searching for an interesting piece of art to write my response on, a came across a photo that necessarily isn't art, but I found to be hilarious. In the photo, there are three guys standing next to a painting of Jesus Christ, who has his arms spread out to the sides. The three guys, standing to the right of the painting, have their arms set in place to represent a different letter. One has the shape of "M", one with the shape of "C", and the other with "A". With the painting included, it spells out, "YMCA", mocking the painting of Jesus. Underneath the photo itself it reads, "Blasphemy. A ticket to hell has never been funnier." The use of the word, "funnier" just makes it all the more enjoyable.    Ignoring the religious values that I have been brought up on, the picture is striking at first, but brings out a comical side to it all. I immediate found the picture funny and these guys demoralize themselves by posing in such a way. I can't imagine that there was much thought in the artistic value of the picture in regards to technique or anything. The sole purpose of the picture is only to entertain and get a few laughs at the guys in the picture, and it does that perfectly, making it an effective picture. The added text to the bottom of the photo pulls it all together by calling out the stupidity of the guys in the photo and I feel was necessary to the picture itself.    I have always enjoyed photos such as this one, and believe that it is photos like this that do provide a comical side to art. There is a whole series of "demotivational" pictures that pursue this idea and I would advise anyone to look at a handful of them Here is a link to the photo - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/princesspetulance/blasphemys...

This page contains a single entry by maste129 published on November 12, 2009 11:24 AM.

Han Bui was the previous entry in this blog.

FINAL PROJECT is the next entry in this blog.