Recently in Written Response Assignments Category

Mitch Mastey Writing Response #2

As I was searching for an interesting piece of art to write my response on, a came across a photo that necessarily isn't art, but I found to be hilarious. In the photo, there are three guys standing next to a painting of Jesus Christ, who has his arms spread out to the sides. The three guys, standing to the right of the painting, have their arms set in place to represent a different letter. One has the shape of "M", one with the shape of "C", and the other with "A". With the painting included, it spells out, "YMCA", mocking the painting of Jesus. Underneath the photo itself it reads, "Blasphemy. A ticket to hell has never been funnier." The use of the word, "funnier" just makes it all the more enjoyable.    Ignoring the religious values that I have been brought up on, the picture is striking at first, but brings out a comical side to it all. I immediate found the picture funny and these guys demoralize themselves by posing in such a way. I can't imagine that there was much thought in the artistic value of the picture in regards to technique or anything. The sole purpose of the picture is only to entertain and get a few laughs at the guys in the picture, and it does that perfectly, making it an effective picture. The added text to the bottom of the photo pulls it all together by calling out the stupidity of the guys in the photo and I feel was necessary to the picture itself.    I have always enjoyed photos such as this one, and believe that it is photos like this that do provide a comical side to art. There is a whole series of "demotivational" pictures that pursue this idea and I would advise anyone to look at a handful of them Here is a link to the photo - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/princesspetulance/blasphemys...

Writing Response #2 - Tyler Patterson

http://www.davidmach.com/works/laid_back.asp?status=3

Artist: David Mach
Piece: Laid Back
Media: Coat Hangers

I did not find anything about the piece itself and what it is about, but I did find it very interesting as to how it was made and how it is portrayed. My interpretation of the piece was that it shows a very provocative woman in a very sexual pose on a couch.

The artist used coat hangers to produce the piece and I thought that it was a great use of them. What better way to use extra coat hangers than to make it into a very well made piece of art. The position in which the artist put the subject was very important as well. he had another Coat Hanger piece called "Hooker" with a sculpture of a naked woman standing. I think this piece captured that meaning than the other one did because of the way the woman is laying.

I found the piece to be very effective in the ways that I interpreted it because the use of coat hangers surprised me and the way the coat hangers looked (the texture of the access hangers) made it work for me. I liked the use of coat hangers and the couch. It took a very surreal sculpture and put it into a more realist setting.

Response Writing #1

Due October 7th:
Please post this writing to the blog or email it to me.

Respond to a piece of art we discused in class, or one that you've experienced on your own.  Write a three paragraph review discussing the content of the piece and your personal reaction to it.  What was the piece about?  What techniques did the artist use to address the subject matter?  Was the piece effective? Why or why not?

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Written Response Assignments category.

Syllabus is the previous category.