Recently in Independent Project Category

Mark Farrell ---- Final

http://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/embedqt/92823

hahhahahahah ohohohohoho Santa say hohoho

Williamson - final

Addisalem Tesfaye- final

Em Dunker - Insomnia

Public Download Link

http://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/embedqt/92826

No Direction K McKee

I decided to make a short about bad, out of context conversations from stupid TV shows. I also told the talent to interpret the material however they wanted to. 

Final Project

Ben Ellenbecker - Final Project

Hand

Final Project : Mark Vancleave

The last of it...

final video project. My friend's and I gather for some socializing...recorded. Playing with movement and sound. Thanks.

Instant Play (very large...)

Direct Download (also large)

Independent Project -- Assignment Description

Proposal due: November 24th

Project due for small group feedback: December 8th

Project screenings and presentations: December 15th

No matter which assignment you choose, I need an email from each one of you by November 24th, telling me which assignment you want to do.  I want one or two complete paragraphs describing 1. What do you want to make -- what will the end result look like? 2. Your process -- how are you going to make it happen? 3. Why are you interested in subject or way of working? You may work in a collaborative group with other classmates on any of these projects.  If you are working in a group, tell me who you are working with.

Choose your own adventure:

1.     Appropriated Animation: Make printouts of at least 30 images that you find on the internet.  You can edit them with Photoshop however you see fit or leave them as you found them.  Use the paper printouts as your primary materials to make a stop-motion animation of 2-3 minutes in length.  Your approach to this could be narrative or experimental - you could tell a story using these images as characters and backdrops, or you could invent your own process for guiding the viewer in their experience of the pictures.  If you need inspiration for subject matter, try one of these two themes as a starting point: A) A story of a difficult decision in which all the options seem wrong.  B) A repeated transformation in which you subject each image to the same physical process (drawing, cutting, folding, burning, etc.)

2.     Creative Documentary: Use any combination of moving images, still images, and sounds to construct a video that investigates a real-world issue that is important to you.  Your piece might leave some questions unanswered, but make sure that it speaks for itself.  In other words, it shouldn't need an explanation from you in order for the viewer to understand what your subject matter is.  Remember, "show don't tell" whenever possible.  4-5 minutes would be a recommended duration for this piece.

3.     Critical Intervention: This one has two components - the event itself, and the documentation of the event.  

THE EVENT: Organize a group of friends or strangers (or both) to make something unexpected (but not illegal please) happen in a public place.  Think about the juxtaposition of the place and the action.  Try to make a personal or political wish come true through your event/performance.  Examples: build an igloo on the front lawn of the Minnesota State Capitol building, perform an original play on the light rail platform, do a giant sidewalk mural in chalk, cover a metered parking space with sod and have a cookout there (but don't forget to feed the meter.) 

THE DOCUMENTATION: Document your event with a video.  Make sure you have someone who is responsible for taking photos and/or video at the event.  Edit these into a video piece that conveys the spirit of the event.  Use voiceover or text if necessary, but focus on a compelling visual and sonic presentation of the event.

4.     Design your own: Write a paragraph or two that describes: 1. What do you want to make -- what will the end result look like? 2. Your process -- how are you going to make it happen? 3. Why are you interested in subject or way of working? Email me this proposal.