Flowing in flux

In this sketch I consider the changing flow of natural and human worlds and their collision around the Washington Avenue Bridge & the Mississippi river on the U of M campus. In anticipation of the central corridor light rail transit, I often find myself trying to imagine the ways the light rail will change and reorder spaces I am familiar with as they are at present. The light rail is a heavily disputed topic in many communities and even though I am interested in the various controversies regarding its plan and implementation, I wanted this video to feel more like a question than an argument. I tried to be as objective as possible as I layered shots of the river, flowing traffic, and light rail. I am interested in the intersecting interactions, layered meanings and attachments to the landscape that form our opinions about the impacts of LRT. While different conceptions of place inform personal interpretations of the impacts of the LRT, the changes in the physical landscape and reordering of space cannot be fully realized until the plan is complete, so for now we are left to wait and wonder.

Video Here