arndt_foundwords.

Katie Venne - Found Words

Here is my version of the found words project. I tried to make a message out of the pool of words our group collected.

Video

Scott Khail Final: Enough

Barbara Haugen--Magnetic Mystic

Just like being in a beatnik cafe circa 1958.
Click here.

Alexa Hunt - Go

For this video the overall "theme" is how students get into repetitious schedules that can be very hectic at times - especially towards the end of the semester. Watch.

Mill City Ruins.. The FLOUR... Final Project

https://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/embedqt.php?media_id=111611

http://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/embedqt/111611

Ian Sheppard
Patrick West
Laura Galarneau
Vanessa Borotz
Carter Jensen

Vanessa Borotz's Final project brainstorm

For the final project I really like the idea of either the class or a group exploring a certain space, capturing things that interest them within that space and then somehow presenting these sketches or sensory interests within that same space. If it were in public, it would be interesting to see people passing by take notice of our sensory documentations of that space. Perhaps they would ask questions, perhaps they wouldn't, in either case it would be a form of interaction. If it were a particular room, say within Regis, or perhaps even in an completely different part of campus that would also be really interesting to see how people would respond to our sensory documentations. I would imagine finding the space would take some class time, and then exploring sensory details of the space and editing could be done on an individual basis. Perhaps several groups could explore different spaces. The following week we could put together our sensory documentations and loop them so there is a blending and the space becomes embodied with its own memories.

Miles Dombrovski: Sketch 6

Sketch 6

Ian Sheppard "abstractmi'

Katie Venne "What's Wrong With The City?"

Anyone who has experienced both northern Minnesota and Minneapolis/St. Paul will tell you that it is like two different worlds. My family has lived in northern Minnesota all their lives, and were not too pleased to hear that I was moving down here for college. This video shows my family's perspective on "the big city" and why exactly they try to stay as far away from it as possible.

Video!

Musical Collisions by Alexa Hunt

In this video I wanted to convey different musical styles and instruments "colliding together." I used marimba, djembe, bongos, guitar, and banjo because they are instruments that aren't usually heard together, especially guitar and marimba.

The first half of the video is meant to show the collision between the different instruments working and playing together, while the second half creates a feeling of dissonance. The viewer sees instruments that don't connect with the sound, creating a sense of detachment and sadness.

Watch here.

Barbara Haugen--Too Much to Ask

As the poet Richard Wilbur (channeling St. Augustine) put it, "Love calls us to the things of this world." And that doesn't always work for me. Video here

Laura Galarneau_Animation

Flowing in flux

In this sketch I consider the changing flow of natural and human worlds and their collision around the Washington Avenue Bridge & the Mississippi river on the U of M campus. In anticipation of the central corridor light rail transit, I often find myself trying to imagine the ways the light rail will change and reorder spaces I am familiar with as they are at present. The light rail is a heavily disputed topic in many communities and even though I am interested in the various controversies regarding its plan and implementation, I wanted this video to feel more like a question than an argument. I tried to be as objective as possible as I layered shots of the river, flowing traffic, and light rail. I am interested in the intersecting interactions, layered meanings and attachments to the landscape that form our opinions about the impacts of LRT. While different conceptions of place inform personal interpretations of the impacts of the LRT, the changes in the physical landscape and reordering of space cannot be fully realized until the plan is complete, so for now we are left to wait and wonder.

Video Here

Scott Khail Sketch 6

Patrick West - Kyle

I basically asked my friend Kyle to tell a short story on camera and luckily for me, she agreed. From there i decided that I would film images that went along with her story, or at least images that her story made me think of, and try to incorporate them into the video somehow. That is how i ended up with this product. I named it Kyle because what other name would be more appropriate. Anyways, enjoy!

click me!

The Escape by Brian Vo

Two best friends try to escape this strange place that is full of obstacles while a car fanatic goes for a drive....What will happen to these two best friends in the END????

The Escape

Carter Jensen Worlds Colliding

http://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/embedqt/108107

Brenna Malovrh "Expressions of the Heart"

Some people are filled with kindness and joy, while others are simply taken by anger and doubt. Though it seems impossible at times, a loving heart can always warm the cold heart of another...

Expressions of the Heart

Bobby Fruhstuck-My Old Homested

\http://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/embedqt/106908

Khail_Random

Brenna Malovrh "Library Shift"

Patrick West - The Lounge

Ian Sheppard videomi

Laura Galarneau "Room Surveillance"

Cruising - Brian Vo

Jenni N - Dance Video

Sketch5 - Carter Jensen

Khail Rock Band (FCE)

Katie Venne "Skating"

Barbara Haugen--Breakfast is Served

Alexa Hunt -- "Keep Calm and Drink Tea"

Sketch 05 - Arndt

Video Sketch 05 Vanessa Borotz

A little bit of story telling, revisiting place in the context of a specific story--

We're sorry, you need Javascript enabled to view this video.

William Kentridge performance at the Walker

Kentridge.png

A number of you expressed interest in the William Kentridge animation piece we screened two weeks ago (titled Johannesburg, it was the animation made with charcoal drawings.)

It just so happens that he's coming to town with a show that combines live actors, puppetry, and animation... sounds like it should be amazing. March 24th and 25th at the Walker's McGuire Theater.
More information here: http://calendar.walkerart.org/canopy.wac?id=5731

Sketch #5 -- Edit footage of First Person Video Essay

Using the footage you collected, edit a 1 to 3 minute video essay. Using basic editing techniques in Final Cut assemble the footage in a way that helps the viewer to understand more about your experience of the subject matter. Consider how you can use audio and video independently from each other to tie the piece together and give it more depth.

As stated in the assignment for the shooting stage, you may choose to approach this as a straightforward documentary, a visual/audible poem, or a constructed fiction. The choice is yours -- but either way it will be your vision of this subject.

Just One Rule:
No music unless you made it yourself, or it was present in the shot and it doesn't make sense to mute it. I'm serious!

First Person Video Essay

Your assignment, due March 2nd, is the first stage of a larger video project. Come to class on that day with at least 15 minutes of footage to work with. Buy your own SDHC card from the equipment checkout so that you keep possession of your work.

Here's the challenge:
Think of a place or activity -- or even a person -- that you know well. Choose a subject that you are intimately acquainted with, but that other people may not know a lot about. Use a digital video camera to capture the sights and sounds that you think are most effective at sharing this subject with us (the audience.) Shoot from a variety of angles and try to get lots of details. Experiment, and get a little more material than you think you need.

You may choose to approach this as a straightforward documentary, a visual/audible poem, or a constructed fiction. The choice is yours -- but either way it will be your vision of this subject.

*Try to avoid capturing recognizable images of people you don't know unless you have their permission.

Bring your footage with you to class on March 2nd, and we'll dive into the editing process...

Final Cut Setup and Importing Handouts

It's essential that you follow the proper steps to set up a Final Cut Project before you start Transferring footage or editing!!

FinalCutBasics01.pdf

Once your project is properly set up, Log and Transfer with the instructions here:
FinalCutBasics02-Importing.pdf