Need equipment? Shop Duluth

BY SARA JOCHEMS
OUTDOOR DULUTH REPORTER

skihutlogo.jpg

As Sophia Petrillo would say on the “Golden Girls? before she started one of her stories: “Picture it:? Duluth, 2008. A college student walked along the snowy sidewalks of Fourth Street in search of outdoor equipment. To her right was the city bus bringing people to their various destinations. To her left was the inviting orange “Skihut? sign. She walked in.

Continue reading "Need equipment? Shop Duluth" »

Snowshoeing and splendor

BY DAYNA D. LANDGREBE
OUTDOOR DULUTH REPORTER

me.jpg

Sitting inside the house on one melty Sunday morning, I had been studying for an exam for two days straight and was itching to get outside. I was housebound by choice and ready to break my rules.

Continue reading "Snowshoeing and splendor" »

Shredding at Spirit

BY CORY CLAESON
OUTDOOR DULUTH REPORTER

n13962560_43478297_8114.jpg

For Cory Cavegn, a broken jaw, a cracked rib and bruised lungs doesn’t stop him from hitting Spirit Mountain slopes. He’s even gone down slopes with his jaw wired shut. For Cavegn, snowboarding is a way of life.

Continue reading "Shredding at Spirit" »

Chill out at North Shore getaway

BY KENDRA RICHARDS
OUTDOOR DULUTH REPORTER

snowysleigh.jpg

Winter in Duluth can make us feel like there are no entertainment options, but there are many winter activities available in the area. A day of ice skating followed by a horse-drawn carriage ride, for example, is perfect for a romantic or family event. Here's a possible agenda for this special occasion.

Continue reading "Chill out at North Shore getaway" »