Immediate Response Research

When the host of Bravo's Watch What Happens Live, Andy Cohen, mentioned that the show fired three cast members based on negative twitter traffic I was impressed. The fact that Mr. Cohen relies so heavily on social media outlets as primary sources for research and strategy says something about the show and its audience as well as today's culture in general.

I believe that today's media is about smaller targets and faster turnovers. In other words, Mr. Cohen relied on twitter feeds to dictate his previously mentioned, drastic actions because the "data" he was collecting was blindingly obvious. The people who watch the program freely offer their feelings to the public and Mr. Cohen is more than happy to listen and keep the crowd happy.

All Cohen has to do is oblige his market's demands and it couldn't be a less confusing process. As far as I'm concerned, what the rest of the population thinks really doesn't matter. Trends will come and go and producers will make mistakes but the key is to roll with the punches and let the mistakes get swept away with the constant current of pop culture. A marketer once said, "Its easier to make a smoker more of a smoker than to try and convert a Mormon," and I think that principle holds true here.

As a testament to his technique, the article states that the show's viewership is on the rise and is even attracting a new audience, men. Mr. Cohen is a great example of why niche market focus and social media are becoming today's dynamic marketing duo.

http://adage.com/article/adages/bravo-s-andy-cohen-research-cocaine/235690/