Awesome tool for those of you that need to update servers that are offline.!

http://www.wsusoffline.net/

List of Free PowerShell eBooks

Good list of books to download!

http://bit.ly/p8fUd9

Configuration Manager 2012 Documentation Library

Farewell

It's been a great time here at the U and I'll cherish all the wonderful people I've had the pleasure of meeting during my tenure.  I'm amazed at what we've been able to accomplish in a little under four years!  We started fresh with a ConfigMgr 2007 SP1 install in the summer of 2008 and have grown from the first client to just under 13,000 computers under management now, quite amazing for an opt-in service!  Let's enjoy that today, and then tomorrow start encouraging those who don't have their computers in ConfigMgr to add them (yes, this will be my last push to get computers in ConfigMgr)! 

We started a University packaging community in that same summer in 2008 with some interested partners throughout the U that focused on packaging applications.  We have since grown into a large, flourishing computer management community that has task forces and subcommittees focusing on, but not limited to: OSD, DCM, Group Policy, WoL, user rights elevation (completed), and 64bit software.

I encourage you all continue to strive for computer management standardization and aggressively pursue new technologies to enable our users to effectively and efficiently do their jobs.  I read a quote the other day that IT is one of the few departments that touch all other departments, I never really thought about it before but is shows that we can do a lot to affect how everyone works for the better!

My last day will be on the 7th of July, I hope to see a lot of you before I leave.  But if I don't, farewell and keep in touch.  I'll keep my University account so feel free to reach me by email, or twitter (@joeartz).

There is a quote that has been hanging in the entryway of my grandparents' house now for over 60 years as the last thing visitors saw when they left the their house.  And that is what I would like to leave with you as I depart the University community.

May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand. --Irish Blessing

App-V 4.6 SP1 Hotfix 2 has been released

The latest hotfix for App-V 4.6 SP1 has been released.  It is available for you under the Packages node > _CM > AppV > _Client

You'll see both the App-V 4.6 SP1 client package as well as the App-V 4.6 SP1 hotfix 2 package.  There is no need for hotfix 1 package, as the hotfixes for the App-V are cumulative.

To determine if you have the latest App-V client (with hotfix 2) the version number should be "4.6.1.30081".

If you have any clients with a version less than "4.6.1.00000" you will need to run the App-V 4.6 SP1 client install program first, reboot the computer, and then install hotfix 2.

NOTE:  Test in your environment.  Both installs suppress reboots.  When you push either update the computer will be need to be rebooted before the App-V client is functional again.
Looks like a good offering.  Blogging so I can find this again. :)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chrissu/archive/2011/06/20/pfe-configmgr-client-health-service.aspx
The Problem
I've had several questions the last couple weeks on discrepancies between Active Directory and ConfigMgr.  This is mostly due to old computer objects in AD.

The Solution
Thanks to joeware there is a utility called oldcomp.  We can use this tool to report on, disable, and delete old computer objects.

To run oldcomp.exe do the following:

1. Download oldcomp.exe from the link above.
  2. Launch a command prompt with your OUadmin credentials.
  3. Navigate to the oldcomp.exe file in your command prompt.
  4. run a command like:  oldmp -report -b ou=mycmps,ou=units,dc=mydomain,dc=edu  see below for an example command, you can get more commands by typing "oldcomp /?"
    1. OldCompCommandEx.PNG
  5. This will create the htm report in the same directory to ran OldComp.
  6. Review the beginning of the report to verify that all the information is correct.
    1. Be aware the the Search Base is correct so you are only pulling computers that you were attempting to pull (the default is 90 days old to display computers), see below
    2. OldCompReportBegin.PNG
  7. Review the list of old computers (in our case greater than 90 days)
    1. OldCompReportOfComps.PNG
  8. If you are sure you want to disable and delete all the old computers continue to the next steps
      1. Now edit your command to look like the following:  "oldcmp -disable -unsafe -forreal -b ou=mycmps,ou=units,dc=mydomain,dc=edu"  see the example below
      2. OldCompCommandExDisable.PNG
  9. The output to screen gives us an overview of how the command performed, but it also creates a report for review and to keep for your records, see the example below
    1. OldCompReportOfCompsDisabled.PNG
  10. Now that the accounts have been disabled we can delete them.
    1. Edit your command to look like:  "oldcmp -delete -age 0  -onlydisabled -unsafe -forreal -b ou=mycmps,ou=units,dc=mydomain,dc=edu", see the example below
    2. OldCompCommandExDelete2.PNG
  11. Below is an example of the report that'll it will create for your records
    1. OldCompReportofCompsDeleted.PNG

One last thing to note is that if your run disable and delete commands but remove the "-forreal" it will just create a report of the computers that it would perform those actions on.

Hope this post has been helpful.  If you have an questions or comments about it post them below and I'll respond or tweak the post as needed.
Wow, I did not know this!  It's definitely a new way for me to think about GPP.  We may not be able to do this with users given how we handle users, but it's something to do for computers.

FWIW, users have to be a member of a ton of groups for to get truncated.  But it's good to be aware.

http://bit.ly/iCj4EV

Group Policy Hotfix Round Up

FYI

The one for logon scripts may apply to a few people, if you haven't started using group policy preferences yet. :)

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2011/06/group-policy-hotfix-round-up-2/

For you DB admins out there, and myself in case we lose admin access to a DB.

Recent Comments

• sharp004: Does anyone know if the U is going to get read more
  • alix0060: Thanks for all you work and amazing support. Rahat read more
  • jenic001: Thanks for being awesome, Joe. Scott read more
  • lstorey: Yo, Joe. Thanks for setting a strong standard for excellence read more
  • okanx002: Thanks Joe for putting up with us. You will be read more
  • craigw: Thanks for everything you've done for us here Joe. You'll read more
  • traygor: It's been an honor working with you Joe. It's also read more
  • waltonen: The recommendation is for computer filters, not users. The issue read more
  • Mark Swoverland: do i have to read the entire blog? or is read more
  • dmeier: The user group is pretty new (started back in October), read more

Recent Assets

• OldCompReportofCompsDeleted.PNG
  • OldCompCommandExDelete2.PNG
  • OldCompCommandExDelete.PNG
  • OldCompReportOfCompsDisabled.PNG
  • OldCompCommandExDisable.PNG
  • OldCompReportOfComps.PNG
  • OldCompReportBegin.PNG
  • OldCompCommandEx.PNG
  • schedulerSnip.PNG
  • PolicyAgentProviderSnip.PNG