Starting after the CM meeting tomorrow, see https://wiki.umn.edu/view/UMNSPD, we'll be accepting nominations for targeted production Software Update Management through ConfigMgr. Please note that nominating your area does not necessarily mean you will be accepted into the targeted production phase or that you will be accepted before the first patch cycle. The field will likely be expanded after receiving feedback from the first patch cycle, so you may be invited prior to the second or third patch cycle.
What is Software Update Management through ConfigMgr?
What basically happens is ConfigMgr manages WSUS so the deploying and reporting of software updates, holistic management, can be handled through the ConfigMgr console. To find out more go to:
What will be discussed about software updates management at the CM meeting?
We'll go through a quick overview of SUM (Software Updates Management) in ConfigMgr and how it will be delivered during the targeted production phase at the University of Minnesota.
How do I nominate my college/department/unit for the targeted production release of SUM through ConfigMgr?
To nominate post a comment on this post with the following information:
· Number of computers that will used in the targeted production
· List of operating systems that will be used in the targeted production
o OS class
o Bit level
· List of applications supported
o This is so we get a large set of different applications that will receive Windows updates in case there are conflicts (i.e. a Windows update breaks an app)
By posting you agree to the following requirements of the targeted production phase:
· Willing to participate during the entire targeted production phase
o Three standard patch cycles
§ Effectively 3 months
· Willing to share experiences with and assist fellow admins in targeted production during the targeted production phase
· Provide feedback to UMNAD during the target production phase
· Willing to share experiences with the rest of the community after that targeted production phase is complete
What will my college/department/unit receive during targeted production?
· Support from UMNAD through already established channels
· Documentation on how SUM will be managed and it's structure
· Support of other admins involved in the targeted production phase
If you have any questions or comments about the project make sure to bring them to the CM meeting tomorrow. After the meeting, feel free to comment or ask questions on this post.