Final Blog

The class blogs are an effective way to communicate with people. Emails would be faster, but for obvious reasons out of the question. It was fun talking with the students over at Lincoln learning about what they like to do and how classes are. It was very touching and warmed my heart to know that they were so concerned about how I was doing and what I was like. I wish you guys the best of luck in completing all your goals.

Posted by at 2:46 PM

Thanksgiving

Over Thanksgiving I went home for the extended weekend. I got to finally see my family after three months. Also I went to work for the first time in quite some time (it’s nice to have some money in my pocket once again. I ate a lot at my aunt’s for Thanksgiving dinner. My favorite thing to eat was the mashed potatoes and gravy. Sorry I couldn’t come to your school, I had a band performance. How did your Thanksgiving go?

Posted by at 2:52 PM

Classes and Thanksgiving

Hello everyone. College is going pretty well right now. Classes are fairly easy but challenging enough to keep my intersest. My professor for Music and Society said today that this was going to be her last day of teaching for the semester due to "health issues". Everyone was shocked and sad because she was one of our favorite teachers. All the students and teachers here are excited for thanksgiving break next week because it's our first break of the entire year! How about you guys? Have any special plans for thanksgiving? What's your favorite food to eat at thanksgiving? I like the mashed potatoes and gravy. Yum!

Posted by at 2:57 PM

Response to Lincoln Students

Hello, on Halloween I dressed up as a ninja but did not go trick-or-treating. Instead I went to band that night (most people were dressed up and then spent a good part of the night hanging out with my friends at Baker's Square. One way that helps me do well in school is to study and do my homework right when I get home from class. I do this because the material is still fresh in my mind. Also, if I have a test on a given day, I'll get up about 10-15 minutes earlier to study for it and refresh myself from the night before. Just make sure you use that time as review and not the only time you spend studying. I'm doing well in my classes right now and I'm glad to here you are too.

Posted by at 3:05 PM

Lincoln Students

The University of Minnesota was my first choice in colleges to attend. The reason that I chose this school was that the music program here is huge and the number of activities and programs are endless. College is one of the greatest places I've ever been. I've never had so much fun in my life and the best part is that I get to experience it everyday (I live on campus). If I had to go to any other college, I would have probably gone to the U of M campus in Duluth regardless of how cold it gets in the winter. The best part about going to college is meeting so many new people who are also excited about getting to know you. How about you? What's your family like? What do you like to do with your friends?

Posted by at 3:00 PM

Lincoln Elementry Students

Hello, my name is Lucas Johnson. I'm freshman at the U of M and am majoring in trumpet performance. Things that I like to do in my spare time include playing video games, practicing my trumpet and listening to jazz. The subjects that I find most interesting in school is music (of course), math and history. But enough about me, what about you? What do you like to do in your free time? What are your favorite subjects in school? What do you want to grow up to be?

Posted by at 11:05 PM

Reivision Groups reflection

Today we met for our revision groups for the first time regarding the second essay. For the most part everyone had more information to share about their own school than about Lincoln. It is somewhat difficult to write about something you've never experienced before and then compare it to something that you have. Lucky for me, we are provided with some facts and stats about Lincoln and can find others on our own schools (I like to compare statistics and data, 'cause I'm cool like that). However, writing and not just taking notes on it has proven to be a challenge thus far.

Posted by at 7:50 PM

Ideas for Comparison

An idea that I will most likely use as a comparison point is the materials used by the students at Lincoln vs. RAMS (my middle school). Once my research begins on the subject, I imagine that I will find that the quality of materials (i.e. computers, textbooks, desks...) that I was provided was of higher quality. Also how often said items are upgraded/replaced. Even having these things isn't enough, they should be replaced ever so often to ensure the students are receiving a more modern education; the textbooks or computers aren't so old that they talk about modern life in the 70's or 80's but at the earliest the mid 90's.

Posted by at 3:13 PM

Reaction to Tuesday's Video

The video that we veiwed in class regarding some of the schools in the Cleveland district were rather depressing. The goals of the videos I believe are to make one either go and want to help in someway by either rebuilding the rundown schools or donating money or by comparing it to the other school make someone take action and attack the gov't and ask is it fair to let one district have access to all of these things while another can't even afford a decent roof or provide meals for the students. It did have an affect on me in that it made me want to go and help these students in some way. Whether I try to repair the school with a group of others or put my own talents to use and teach the fundamentals of music playing/singing or something else. Most videos have no such affect on me, but for whatever reason this one did.

Posted by at 10:26 AM

Reflection for this Week

This weeks class was more of what most people might consider a "Basic Writing" course to be. Learning how citing works under various conditions, and what is and isn't considered plagerism and how to paraphrase. Earlier on in Tuesday class we talked briefly about what the University's broad focus is, "perspective." That's all fine and dandy but perspective is something that I think about all the time. Whenever I talk to someone, very rarely will ever become upset or angry because one of the first things that I consider is where is this person coming from and what conditions/stresses are they perhaps under. With those things in mind I usually understand quickly why someone is depressed or upset or happy etc. In the rare occasions that I don't, I usually will try to find out what it is that is causing a particular emotional response (unless they don't want to talk about it. Also, whenever I have time to myself (which I enjoy) I like to think about people and their perspectives on life so the next time I see them, I understand more about their perspective and why they might react to something in the manner that they do.

Posted by at 1:12 PM