Week 14

My reflections regarding the ID final projects consist of mostly followup questions to the contributors -
Yuri's Calculus Crash course - I was curious about the gender implications of the imagery and if this was calculated in relation to a learner's analysis.
Paul's Computer conference tutorial: I like the idea of creating more instruction for the 3 different presences: social, cognitive and teaching. I thought that the teaching/leadership has linkages with industry elearning studies on the role of virtual facilitator. I thought the discussion of argumentation was interesting for additional research - but would have to say that I expected this element in my postgraduate coursework in NZ and it didn't happen - so there is a level of myth operating sometimes I think. However, there are different facilitations in other cultures that are worth considering as resources. There are two aspects that need to be considered in designing for online discussion -1. is teaching the learning structure, 2nd is teaching ways of facilitating discussion - they can be very different.
Jennifer's Healthy website: I thought that I'd like to compare elearning industry games with theirs for points of difference in instructional design.
Cheryl's French language site: I was reflecting on Cheryl's comment that Target relies on use of templates and wondering if she felt that this now infuences how she designs other sites for depth/navigation?
Theano's Greek language site: via personal experience, I feel there's a powerful difference between academic and immersion methods of learning a language - and I wondered if this pointed towards use of more risk elements in the games design for educational language sites.
Kristine's polarhusky tutorial: I'm looking forward to seeing this - and thought the question re updating mechanisms was helpful.
Virginia's job aid site: I wondered if there was any research into library assoc use of databases for knowledge management - they have developed extensive standards, structures etc and it could be useful in the early design of her site?

Posted by joh02512 at 9:06 PM

Week 5

The key points of Chapter 5 are delivery context, delivery mode, media/activity selection and interactivity.
My experience with the import of these key points was making the transition as a lecturer from the traditional ‘podium’ style/lecture theatre to using Powerpoint to structure my lectures. This shift significantly changed the dynamics of my classroom in terms of student interactivity and required a complete rethink of content chunking. At times, I’ve wondered if depth and analysis suffer in this process, however I think that more student needs are addressed with a multimedia presentation. One drawback was that I usually was so busy getting a Powerpoint lecture organized with existing content that I didn’t have time to concentrate on the other 50% of the instructional design – ie the resources, assessment, interaction. I think that this is because at university level, we get away from writing formal lesson plans. This lack of structure makes it difficult to transfer content to a different mode of presentation – but the exercise of doing so helps to refocus the goals of the instructional design. Therefore, I couldn’t really say that I’d utilized the potential of the medium or utilized an effective instructional design. One thing that I have noticed over the past years is that students seem to have lost the stamina to sit through a prepared lecture – simply because they are so used to ‘bit-size’ presentations in so many other environments.

5 questions I’d like to ask an instructional designer are
How is your role seen in the company?
Do you ever feel like you have a realistic timeframe to work with?
How do you build a product in a way that anticipates growth?
What drives your decisions regarding chunking content?
What is your relationship with SMEs?
Sequencing instruction seems to me to be the core of any instruction. I’m looking forward to the models for insights on the possibilities for sequencing.
I thought that case study 8 this week brought out an important issue – do we as instructional designers work more often offering a diagnosis or a mediation?
Case study 9 was interesting in terms of current issues such as No Child Left Behind – there is more frequently a gap in the involvement of teachers in management decisions - and this seems to compound as a problem with technology drives the management’s solution.
These case studies are interesting, but we don’t seem to get to discussion of the instructional design because we spend too much time reviewing the details of each case study.

Posted by joh02512 at 11:41 PM

Week 4

For case study 7 (Iris Daniels) we considered the following question for discussion:

Evaluate Jim and Iris's approach to handling cultural differences among the members and state the outcomes Iris might expect from different key members of the design team after demonstrating the prototype.

1. They responded to the learner’s preference for a step-by-step demonstration to follow - but missed the clues about the goal of this instructional element, which was to make a learner support mechanism instead of an American-orientated linear task-oriented demonstration. The unguided simulation would have been perceived as a poor substitute that did not ‘listen’ to the objective required –that is – step-up feedback until the learner is confident of the procedure.
2. Iris also would have had negative feedback on their decision to use colloquial phrases such as ‘pull it all together’ etc for the names of the sections. Other cultures would not know what these meant – and if their goal is to present different cultural options, then what was presented would be confusing because the ‘global’ understanding of the section’s purpose would be lost.
3. Many cultures are NOT task-orientated in the logic of their learning process and many do not perceive the idea of ‘interactive’ the same as the US does. For example Lev Manovich back in 1998 (when hype about the internet was rife) discussed the difference between European and US ideas of interactive as used in discussion of the ‘potential’ of the Internet. He stated that interactivity implies 'democratic' in an American sense, but in Eastern European cultures, the term interactive implies 'surveillance'. His discussion demonstrates a historical cultural bias in the development of the Internet and its structures that needs to be taken into consideration.
The resources Sheryl and Virginia posted look interesting to follow up.

Posted by joh02512 at 12:02 PM

Week 3

Reflections 2/1

RE learners analysis activity/marketing the ice-fishing house scenario
This exercise didn’t feel very productive. We ended up describing ice-fishing/and how to gather data…but not what we’d do with the data in terms of the client’s objectives. I felt there was a misunderstanding…having accumulated the contrived analysis, it seems that the ID task was to design an instructional device for sales people to use for marketing, not an ID for customers for? putting together or buying an icehouse?

RE Jennie Davenport
It was really nice to have a summation of the input on this case study!

RE Case study – J & T
I think it was productive presenting this case first role-playing the learner and then as an Instructional Designer. It’s difficult though when the discussion stays on ‘issues’ and doesn’t get around to more contributions to strategies for ID. Probably the most relevant points of this case study for me were
-how we limit the thinking about ID/technology with what we think we know
-the gap between instructional designers and classroom instructors that are used to
making their own teaching plan without any training in ID.
-how the training issue could become a change management issue and cause resentment if the learners are not actively engaged in the process from the beginning, particularly if the university has not had a good culture of computer use/support.
-building coaching, encouragement and proof of capability into ID is very important

Posted by joh02512 at 10:58 AM

Week 2

Case study 3 was interesting for discussion about assumptions re the learner and analyzing the culture of the learner's environment.
I know that metacognition activities such as a journal are supposed to be helpful - I always asked my research students to do it...but now that I have to, it feels disjointed - which I quess has more to do with getting the rhythm / patterns of how I am approaching this 'new' work.

Posted by joh02512 at 10:52 PM

Week 1

I'm really excited about using case studies as a strategy in this class. They are useful for helping to build definition between issues and concepts that often tend to merge and confuse a project.

Posted by joh02512 at 10:44 PM