Titans owner fined for rude gesture

Titans owner fined for rude gesture

by Dallas Johnson

Bud Adams, the owner of the Tennessee Titans, was fined $250,000 by NFL Monday for making rude gestures Sunday, ESPN reported.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell notified Adams of the fine on Monday.  League spokesman Greg Aiello said the fine was for "conduct detrimental to the league."

Adams was photographed giving the middle finger to Buffalo Bills fans from his owner's box near the end of the Titans 41-17 victory over the Bills, CNN reported.

Adams, 86, apologized Monday for his actions.  "I got caught up in the excitement of a great day, but I do realize that those types of things shouldn't happen," Adams said.

The Bills and Titans have a rivalry that has existed since the the 1960s when both teams were in the AFL.  At the time, the Titans were the Houston Oilers.

Adams was one of the founders of the AFL along with Bills owner Ralph Wilson.

"I obviously have a great deal of respect for [Bills owner] Ralph Wilson and the history we have shared. I also understand there will probably be league discipline for my actions and I will accept those," Adams said.

The game was part of the 50th anniversary celebration of the AFL.  Titans head coach Jeff Fisher said he knew Adams was exited for the game because of the history between Adams and Wilson and the two teams.

The two teams have had many emotional playoff games, including the Music City Miracle in 2000. 

This is the biggest fine the NFL has issued an individual since New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 for illegally taping opponents on the sidelines.

This page contains a single entry by Dallas Johnson published on November 21, 2009 7:45 PM.

Dozens killed in mine accident in China was the previous entry in this blog.

Analysis: Diversity is the next entry in this blog.