Ann Curry departs 'Today'

Ann Curry, co-anchor of NBC's "Today" show, tearfully announced on-air that she was leaving the show Thursday, said The Washington Post.

Curry, who has worked on "Today" for 14 years, said during her announcement, "for all of you who saw me as a groundbreaker, I'm sorry I couldn't carry the ball over the finish line, but, man, I did try", thanking her fans for their support, reported the Los Angeles Times.

She also announced that she will still be a part of the NBC News family, as she has been given the titles of "Today" Anchor at Large and NBC News National and International Correspondent, said The Washington Post.

Although NBC has made no announcement regarding her replacement, it is widely believed that it will be Savannah Guthrie, who appeared as Matt Lauer's co-host Friday morning, said the Los Angeles Times.

NBC's reassigning of Curry comes after a heated ratings battle with ABC's "Good Morning America" and rumors that Curry would be replaced, reported the Los Angeles Times.