Serena Williams wins Olympic singles tennis gold, completes Golden Slam

Serena Williams defeated Maria Sharapova Saturday in the gold medal match of women's singles tennis, said The Guardian.

Williams dominated the match 6-0, 6-1, and completed a career Golden Slam in doing so - having won championships at the US Open, French Open, Australian Open, Wimbledon, and the Olympics, said the Los Angeles Times.

Williams is only the second player in history to have a Golden Slam, the first being Steffi Graf, said The Guardian.

"I've never played better," said Williams, "I thought: 'If my career's over, I have my gold medal and now I have everything," according to The Guardian.

Sharapova, who suffered the worst finals loss in Olympic history, also would have achieved a career Golden Slam with a win, said The Guardian.

Williams could earn her fourth career gold medal if she wins her upcoming gold medal doubles match with sister and partner Venus, said the Los Angeles Times.