The Autumn Cookie

For class we were told to create a new cookie. After looking through my cupboard and thinking of different flavors that could be combined to produce something edible, I decided to use pumpkin, chocolate chips, and chai tea. The next obstacle was to combine these ingredients in a way that would produce something edible and still resembling a cookie. I found a cookie base recipe on BakerBettie.com that could be easily manipulated to include any ingredient imaginable. I decided to use the pumpkin purée in place of the 1/2 cup of shortening, and use the chai tea in an icing recipe my family uses. The chocolate chips would just be sprinkled on top for added variety of color and flavor.

The recipe is as follows:

1/2 C Pumpkin Purée
1/2 C Sugar
1/4 Tsp Vanilla
1 Egg
1 C Flour
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Baking Soda
1/4 Tsp Vanilla Extract

The cookies were baked for 10 minutes at 350 F and turned out beautiful! Next I made the icing using a basic recipe and steeping a chai tea bag in the butter and milk.

The recipe is as follows:

2 C Powdered Sugar
3 Tbsp Milk
1 Tbsp Melted Butter
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Chai Tea Bag
The only problem I encountered during the production of my cookies was that the top fell off my salt shaker and added too much salt. To combat the saltiness I cut open each cookie and added a layer of melted chocolate chips because sweet negates salty. I call this creation: The Autumn Cookie!

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Autumn Cookie

Hi Cody,
for this assignment I would have liked you to spend more time on the ideation and not just look through your cupboard and call it there. It also seems that you only tried one version of the cookie and didn't go through any iterative process to improve it (or at least you didn't document any).

Putting some caption and spacing in the blog (like putting an empty line after "The recipe is as follows:" and then put "Recipe" in bold) could improve the overall look of the blog post.

Either you didn't preview the blog, or didn't figure out how to make the images appear correctly, but it's important that you fix this so an image showing nothing won't take up a lot of space in the blog. I must admit I had some trouble with this myself :) I haven't tried the instructions Barry forwarded from Cory to help with this, but that could be your starting point. Alternatively (the method I used) was to shrink the images so they were no more than 570 pixels wide and worked nicely for me (though you won't be able to get full size images instead).

Cody,

You seem to have some experience in a kitchen which serves you well. You made substitutions in recipes with confidence and provided a flavor correction for an error. All to the good.

I wonder what some additional experimentation might have yielded? If you went through an iterative period in develop the recipe presented, or if you tried additional trials, they are not documented.

I appreciate the inclusion of a photograph, but I would suggest a bit more distance in the future. It is impossible to really see the cookie and its layers as you have presented them.

I am curious if you noted any changes in texture? It occurs to me that the big change in fat content between the shortening and the pumpkin purée might have had a substantial effect.

Julie