To start off this weeks assignment, I converted the problem statements from the last post into "How Might We..." statements. For readers who haven't seen the last post, the problem statements are:
1. Gary, a college student who drives to work after class, needs a way to increase traction during icy conditions.
2. Stephanie, a 23 year-old college student who commutes by car, needs a way to reduce ice buildup on her vehicle.
The two following statements are the "How Might We.." statements:
1. How might we improve traction for vehicles during the Minnesota winter?
2. How might we reduce ice buildup on vehicles during winter?
For the next step we were told to invent a new improvisational game to play before brainstorming. I invented... The Class Alphabet!
The Class Alphabet
To play, the first player says the name of a college course that starts with the letter "A." The next player is assigned the next letter up the alphabet and must say the name of a college course that starts with that letter. This process continues until the entire alphabet is named.
Next I had to gather some friends to take part in the brainstorming project. These friends could not be in the Idea Generation class. This proved to be much harder than anticipated as I realized to very important things; one, that I have much fewer friends within traveling distance than I thought, and the second that most people really don't like the idea of getting together to brainstorm. Luckily I got two friends to find the time for my little project. Wendy, who is a 20 year old classical guitar major at the UMN, and Kyle, who is a 24 year old fiber optic cable technician.
To begin the storming of brains, I fed our brains dark chocolate. Dark chocolate allows people to think more creatively, according to Barry's lecture.
After eating some of the chocolate, we played the College Alphabet game I made up, along with "Zip, Zap, Zop" to warm up our brains. Next we brainstormed! The ideas came slow at first as I had to repeatedly explain the sketching requirement of the brainstorming process because they had never been a part of a brainstorm session before. We were able to brainstorm for about 40 minutes, but Kyle got an important call and had to leave early. For a total we came up with 31 ideas. We had a group total of .775 Ideas Per Minute (IPM), and an individual total of .25 IPM. These totals are not accurate because Kyle did not stay for the entire session.
After we finished brainstorming, we arranged the sketches into categories. The following pictures are of the groups that we put together.
After naming the groups of all the sketches, we had to pick 5 sketches from both "How Might We.." prompts to attain a total of 10 sketched ideas to work with on a future post. Since there were only Wendy and I left in the group at this point, we just collectively decided on which were our favorite ideas by marking the sketch with a colored "X" in the corner and narrowing our results to 5 per prompt collectively. Our 10 final ideas are pictured below. The first 5 are for traction and the last five are for ice build-up.
PLEASE NOTE: Sorry for the few sideways pictures, but the file I uploaded from my computer is right side up and appears sideways only when displayed on this blog site.