Idea Pitching

For the final installment of the semester of ideation, I will be pitching my chosen Idea to a board of "Investors" who will critique the idea and give it an overall "Yay" or "Nay." The final idea will not be chosen at random, it will be selected by use of a Pugh chart and a set of criteria to determine which idea is the most feasible as a product.

To start the Pugh chart, I decided to put all five of the ideas selected from the last assignment. They are Non-Stick Paint, Serrated Links, Bicycle Tire Chains, Snowmobike, and Screw-On Traction Aids. These ideas were crossed with seven criteria, which are: Is there a market for the product? Is the product feasible to engineer? Is the idea novel? Is there a need for the product? Is the potential price of the product feasible? Is the product easy to use? Can the product be applied to other markets than the one intended? The criteria were evaluated with a -, o, and +. o is the "standard," or "same." "-" is less feasible or applicable and "+" is more applicable.

criteria.jpg
pugh-1.jpg
Pugh Chart

The product that I decided on is the "Snowmobike" idea! There are many reasons for this decision. First, it is the most novel of my final ideas, and that makes it fun. Second, the engineering behind making this I believe would be feasible. Lastly, my given theme was Winter Travel, and a snowmobike opens up a whole new set of travel options! It could be used recreationally, for daily errands, exercise, and even commuting!

Next I had to come up with a name for the potential product. After thinking for awhile on this, I decided on "Yeti." As a Yeti is a fictional creature that walks the snowy forests, I thought the name fit.

names.jpg
Product Name Brainstorming

The final task is to create a 30 second pitch to attempt to "sell" the idea to a board of investors and fellow designers. Some key points of the presentation will be on the novelty of the product, the features of the product, and the applications of the product.

Movie Recording 8.mov

I thought your pitch was very good. You were to the point, gave us everything we needed to know, didn't sound like a salesman and was just about 30 seconds too (which is something I struggled with). The only thing I would suggest that you just work on your hesitations where you're thinking of what to say, and adding just a little bit more excitement to your pitch. Not anything over the top where it sounds like an infomercial but just enough to make it appear that you are genuinely interested in the product you are presenting to the audience.

Great work!

Also a quick side note about the rest of your blog entry, I like how you laid out your pugh graph by giving the criteria and products numbers and letters to follow on the graph instead of writing it out. This made it very easy to read without the jumble of words on the graph.

I also enjoyed your product pitch. However, I felt as though it could have used some more data from the previous class assignments (i.e. marketability, approximate price people would be willing to pay, etc). Also for the final pitch in class it would be best to rehearse your pitch so you know exactly what you are going to say. It will make the message much clearer and easy to follow. As far as the blog post itself goes, I actually disagree with the previous comment and I think it would have been more helpful to include the idea name or sketch on the Pugh Chart. Having to reference the list above makes reading the chart more time-consuming and confused me at first. Other than that, I thought your product name was appropriate and catchy. If the engineering on this product really is feasible, I think it could potentially be a marketable product. Looking forward to seeing your final product pitch in class!

Your pitch was clear and to the point. I agree with the others adding something else in would have been a good idea. Whether it would have been market research or a story/ observation. One other thing for future reference when making movies/ recordings, Look into the camera and not down a the screen. That way it looks like you are actually speaking to the viewer and the message is more genuine and effective.

I like how you gave reasons why you picked your idea other than it had more pluses than the other ideas on your PUGH Chart. I also agree with Marin Blair when she said that she doesn't like how you used numbers and letter to organize your chart. It is confusing having to constantly go back and forth between the two images.

It was great to see your final product pitch in class. Good job!