« OBE 1 photojournalism | Main

OBE 2 migrant mother

I thought that it was very interesting to learn a little more of the story behind the famous “Migrant Mother� picture. What it got when I first saw this photo was that this was a woman who could not feed her children, had no home besides maybe some makeshift box, and did not know what to do about it. She looks like she needs help. And this photo makes me want to help her. But in this picture she also looks like she is a hard worker. She looks worn down and tired from laboring her entire life and still not being able to make ends meet. I wonder if Dorothea Lange also published the little blurb about this poor mother needing to sell the tires off of her car just to have enough money to buy food. It makes her sound to helpless and almost pathetic. She looks like she needs help from someone and without it she will never be able to make things better for herself. But this is what you are supposed to get from it. The whole point was to evoke emotions of sympathy from the reader. At the time the picture was first published there was a shift in society towards wanting to help these people that are down on their luck and just need a little boost to get back on track. While reading this article we find some of this to be true. She works and still does not have enough money to buy food for her seven children and the home that she lives in could definitely be better. But one big misconception that was corrected for me is that this woman is not helpless and she is not left wondering what to do. She does need help, but she isn’t waiting around for anyone to come and hand it over to her either. This woman, Florence Owens Thompson, is already an active participant in the fight for not only her own future she is trying to help other migrant workers and farm laborers all around her. This woman, that looks so helpless and desperate for someone to come and help her find food and shelter for herself and her children, is actually a very strong woman.