Hawk Ridge project

I could not have chosen a better client to work with on this project. Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory has been awesome to work with and is a great way to practice my skills on projects that will actually be used in the community. My roommate, Kelsey, and I have done work for them in the past. We worked on a newsletter for them as well as a t-shirt design. They were more than willing to give me a project when I asked them this semester.

Debbie Waters, the Education Director, is my contact person and she is great to work with. The project that she gave me was to redo their raptor identification guide for visitors. We decided on a quad-fold using legal size paper. She organized a bunch of pictures that I was to make silhouettes from so that visitors would easily be able to identify the shapes of the different raptors that fly over Hawk Ridge. The guide includes a front and back cover, 2 graphs and the whole inside was used for the raptor identification information and silhouettes. I think I will also be doing a more in-depth version of the visitors guide for them also, which will include more information and raptor data, etc. I think I found out that I like organizing information- I think. So maybe I should look into the information design branch of graphic design?

To extend the project for my portfolio, I decided to redo the Hawk Ridge logo and apply it to stationery. It took me a long time to come up with a logo solution that I really liked. I wanted to use one of the silhouettes somehow since it's a strong and simple image that represents what visitors go to Hawk Ridge to see. I started working with both serif and sans serif typefaces, went in the sans direction, and then back to serifs. I like the look of all capital letters, especially since it was hard to work with "Ridge" having a descender- I couldn't figure out a good way to place "Bird Observatory." I chose blue to represent the sky as well as Lake Superior. I feel like I use blue too much in my work in general, but I thought it was fitting for this identity.

I hope I continue to work with them in the future- I feel like I'm helping out a great organization and it's awesome work experience.

pg1 blogpic.jpg

pg2 blogpic.jpg

HR new logo.jpg