university of poverty

The University of the Poor: The University of Michigan's Transition From Admitting Impoverished Students to Studying Poverty, 1870-1910

Author: Nidiffer Jana J
From: American educational research journal
Date: 2004
Volume: 41
Issue: 1
ISSN: 0002-8312
Pages: 35-67

Posted by at 10:45 AM

Positivist, interpretivist, critical researcher?

Greetings to any still connected to this site and to those stumbling onto it. I have started a blog that continues the explication of the expectation of completing this doctoral program before I pass on. It is at- http://web.mac.com/bvillejohns/iWeb/site/snowblind/snowblind.html
From bus rides to campus crisis I'll post twice a week as each night's classes are completed.

This blog I will be using for thoughts about the content and discussions of the evenings as they toss the curiosity switch on. Please comment as you see fit. Most of the ramblings will be used in some way to add to the papers that need to be written over the semester. I'll begin in ernest early this week.

At once theoretical and strategic

Democratic Schools. Places where students and staff learn in a community that respects the social setting of learning and respects the input of all participants. Schools that engage learners in dialog and critical examination of issues of the day as context with skills and knowledge as content. When content is questioned and placed in the framework of cultural norms and devisiveness.

As students are given more freedom to direct learning they are given more responsibility for the products of the learning. Paradoxically, this shifts the learning MORE toward teacher-centeredness as the stakes of student decisions become greater. This is in contrast to most schools (public and private) where the focus is system-centered. It is a curious discussion.

What would an effective school that was student-centered look like? Even Summerhill reproduced the existing labor structures as a model for how its school "worked".

Posted by at 2:52 PM