A plan to prepare standby rockets to hit U.S. targets was approved by North Korea's Kim Jung Un, state media said Friday, after a practice mission over South Korea by American stealth bombers, CNN reported.
The rockets are aimed at military bases in the Pacific and South Korea, the state-run KCNA news agency reported, CNN said.
"The United States is fully capable of defending itself and our allies," Lt. Col. Catherine Wilkinson, a Pentagon spokeswoman in Washington told the New York Times.
Kim's order was given during an emergency meeting Friday, and was similar to the one issued Tuesday when the North Korea's top military command told all of its missile and artillery units to be ready to strike the U.S. and South Korea in retaliation for their joint military exercises, the New York Times reported.
There has been more vehicle and troop movement at North Korean missile units in recent days as the U.S. and South Korea has been conducting joint military drills, government officials and South Korean media said, the New York Times reported.
North Korea carried out a long-range rocket launch in December and an underground nuclear test last month which prompted the U.N. Security Council to issue sanctions on North Korea, CNN reported.
A photo released by KCNA on Friday showed Kim meeting with his top generals with a military chart behind them showing what appeared to be trajectories of North Korean missiles hitting major U.S. cities, the New York Times reported.