Baywatch:Ten Years Later

pa1.jpg

Pictures of Pamela Anderson frolicking on the beach with her dog hit the web with titles like, "Pamela Has Expired", "She'll Never Get Back in the Red Bathing Suit" and "No More Sex Tapes for You".

Continue reading "Baywatch:Ten Years Later" »

Only the Third?

508-reg-1547551-989297.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg

When I heard Jennifer Hudson made the cover of the American Vogue magazine, I was surprised. I happen to be a avid reader of the magazine and as hard as I tried I could only remember two black women celebrities being on the cover: Halle Barry & Oprah Winfrey. I also thought, has there been black singers? The answer is: no. I did some research and discovered that Jennifer Hudson is only the third black woman celebrity and the first black woman singer to be on the cover.

Continue reading "Only the Third?" »

On Display: Feminist Art

Feminist art center opens at Brooklyn Museum
By Deepti Hajela
Associated Press

NEW YORK — Finally, feminist art has a gallery of its own. And then some.

The Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art, an 8,300-square-foot space specifically dedicated to examining the effect of feminism in the art world — said to be the first museum space of its kind — has taken up residence at the Brooklyn Museum.

The center, which opened March 23, is the brainchild of Sackler, who said that when she thinks of feminist values, she envisions "equality, equity, justice."

"I see those values in feminism; those are part of what feminist art addresses," she said in an interview.

"I think it's a wonderful opportunity to work with the public, to engage in subjects in and around the history of women and the impact of women," said Maura Reilly, curator of the center.

Sackler decided the centerpiece of the space would be an iconic work of feminist art, Judy Chicago's "The Dinner Party," from 1974-79. The large-scale installation has 39 place settings around a triangular table, with each setting representing a woman of historical note, from ancient goddesses to Georgia O'Keeffe. Tiles on the floor below the table are inscribed with the names of 999 women of significance.

The work, which has been displayed at the museum twice before, now takes up a permanent space in the center. A 300-square-foot "herstory" gallery is meant to work as an addendum, hosting exhibitions that focus on the women mentioned in Chicago's work.

The first exhibit, "Pharaohs, Queens and Goddesses," uses items from the museum's extensive Egyptian collection to look at Hatshepsut, one of the few women to become ruler in Egypt, as well as other females in Egyptian history.

Another space is meant for changing exhibitions. The first one is "Global Feminisms," a survey of contemporary feminist art featuring women from around the world.

The center also has space for public and educational programming.

Having a dedicated, permanent space for feminist art is a huge step forward from the occasional survey show or retrospective of a particular artist that museums have done, said Peggy Diggs, a senior lecturer in arts and humanities at Williams College in Williamstown, Mass.

"Shows have been good, but they come and go. They seem to always carry their hat in their hand, or else they look so retrograde, this kind of glimpse into the weird, weird past," she said. "I'm hoping this will provide a much richer, deeper view."

Sackler said she hoped the center would be a model that other museums would follow.

"For me, both feminism and feminist art is not the goal — it's the means toward an end. The end is equality," she said. "Whether it's equal pay or equal wall space, that's the end."

240651055_e314806192.jpg

Continue reading "On Display: Feminist Art" »

Pregnancy: The End

281011-55med.jpg

Pregnancy Discrimination Complaints at Record High

A record 4,901 pregnancy discrimination complaints were filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) in 2006. However, the actual number of pregnancy discrimination cases may be higher, as many women see filing complaints as a “career killer,? said EEOC spokesperson David Grinberg, according to the Baltimore Sun.

The most common discrimination complaints from pregnant women are unlawful demotions, firing, and not being hired in the first place, according to the Kaiser Daily Women’s Health Policy Report. Maria Salacuse, an EEOC attorney in Baltimore, said that as more women become aware of their rights under the law, more are willing to file complaints, according to the Sun.

According to the EEOC, about 27 percent of the pregnancy discrimination cases closed during 2006 had favorable outcomes for the women. Not counting monetary awards obtained through litigation, the EEOC recovered $10.4 million on behalf of the pregnant women filing complaints in 2006, according to the Sun.

Continue reading "Pregnancy: The End" »

Hold the Fries, Please

livtyler.jpg

In a recent interview Liv Tyler stated she has "been on a diet" her whole life since she was 14, because she was started as a model and actress. According to Tyler, the only time she wasn't on a diet was when she was pregnant.

Continue reading "Hold the Fries, Please" »

There Goes His Contract

hardaway96.jpg

Basketball player Tim Hardaway was recently interviewed by a sports radio station about the situation involving John Amaechi, a former teammate who came out of the closet. Hardaway's comments are degrading and pathetic, further distancing any respect of homosexuals in male sports.

Continue reading "There Goes His Contract" »

It's About More Than Power

miranda.jpg

In an episode of HBO's popular series Sex And The City character Miranda Hobbes, played by Cynthia Nixon, says, "I know how to keep a man, you just give up all your power."

Continue reading "It's About More Than Power" »

Did someone skip a breakfast, or two?

dita.jpg

Looking at this this picture makes me wonder, what is so desirable about a 16 inch waist? It looks pretty painful to me.

Continue reading "Did someone skip a breakfast, or two?" »

Afraid of the F-Word?

gwen_home.jpg

In a recent issue of Bust Magazine, Gwen Stefani was asked her position of feminism.

Continue reading "Afraid of the F-Word?" »