Sources

Bloom, Carol. Eating problems: A feminist Psychoanalytical Treatment Model. New York: Basic Books, 1994

Nielsen, Linda. Black Undergraduate and White Undergraduate Eating Disorders and Related attitudes. College Student Journal, 2000.

Posted by jord0206 at 10:09 PM

Gastronomical

I have never heard of the consumption of gorilla meat. I also found it interesting that some taste better than others. Like chimpanzee meat has a smell to it which now has me wondering what it actually smells like. “Many Central Africans still prefer the taste of bushmeat, in all its prolific variety, but millions of recent urbanities also value bushmeat as a reminder of their culture identity and roots in traditional villages.” This reminds me of the Greg Atkinson piece, “Forming a Palate” and “Devil with A Red Apron On” by David Leite. Both of these pieces touched on how developing a palate for a certain type of food or childhood experiences is a sense of reminder to where they come from. I found the sample student paper to be very interesting and in fact I feel that the information that I was reading was coming from a good source. I say this because I am currently enrolled in a Nutrition class as well for the summer and I read about how a variety of foods should be a part of our everyday diet. I notice that in the first paragraph that the student gives a fact but doesn’t cite the source. Overall, I found that paper to be interesting.

Posted by jord0206 at 10:14 PM

What's In the Meat?

What’s in the meat?

Appalling, disgusted, and nauseating are a few words to describe the way I felt after looking at the chapter “What’s in the Meat,” out of Eric Schlosser’s Fast Food Nation attained a lot of interesting facts. Reading about the symptoms that are caused from E. coli doesn’t sound like a pretty site. What got me the most was blood in the stool and bad abdominal pains. After reading, I thought, about how many cows are slaughtered on a daily basis? Its kind of messed up how cows are raised for all of their lives to just end up getting butchered. I see why some people are vegetarians. I also found it nasty that how cattle’s are fed other animals. “They’re designed to eat grass and, maybe grain. I mean, they have four stomachs for a reason-to eat products that have a high cellulose content. They are not designed to eat other animals.”(202)

Posted by jord0206 at 9:37 PM

Food Porn

Porn

When thinking of the word porn, food is not the first thing that comes to my mind. Food porn are the dishes and recipe’s that you see in magazines that you will never know what it taste like and have no idea of making. You can’t even find most of the ingredients for the recipe in any regular grocery store. It’s meant for the rich and something that I rarely dream or even desire about eating.

Posted by jord0206 at 2:34 AM

The Most Dangerous Job

The Most Dangerous Job

How much could someone’s stomach take? “We’ll be walking through some blood.”(169) Working at a slaughter house is one of the most dangerous jobs that one could have, and you find most Latino’s that does this job which is an interesting fact. Chapter 8 in the book Fast Food Nation does a good job at being descriptive and making my stomach turns as I read. “I see: a man reach inside a cattle and pull out their kidneys with his bare hands, then drop the kidney’s down a metal chute over and over again” (170). And who knows what they do with them? A lot of people who have these meat packing jobs are immigrants and their work is hard and so horrendous that words seem inadequate to describe it Schlosser’s says. These immigrants get paid lower than the regular working employees which reminds me of sweat shops where people making clothing for little money each day. I’m grateful to be an American but some of the things we do are abysmal.

Posted by jord0206 at 12:32 AM

Poverty and Hunger

Hunger

In the article, "12 Myths about Hunger," one myth that is states is "more U.S. aid will help the hungry." But, in reality "most U.S. aid works directly against the hungry". I found this to be somewhat shocking because the U.S. is the most wealthiest country in the world and to read that they they rather not put a hand in helping the hunger but to only reinforce the status quo. Aid is only used to promote power for the U.S. rather than helping the hunger in different nations. It is probably unrealistic to even see world hunger end, but we could make small steps towards it. I also found it very interesting that our foreign aid budget forces most third world countries to cut back on their basic health, education and anti-poverty programs. So, not only are we very little help in aiding other countries in hunger, but we are also cutting back on their education programs. GREED! I say.

Posted by jord0206 at 10:44 AM

Restaurants and Dining Out

"Off the Chain"

I found Jeremy's Iggler article on long fellow to be quite interesting. Most "cookie-cutter" chain restaurants that you do go to make sure that its taste is duplicated to an extent that it will keep you coming back on a regular basis. Whereas in the "Longfellow" article, it addressed that even though it was a restaurant chain, it offered so much and its authenticity kept you coming back for more. McDonalds taste the same everywhere across the U.S. as well as many other chain restaurants. The idea of McDonalization is practiced by many but the restaurants that Iggler speaks of say that it has its own "distinctive look." In my opinion, entrees don’t seem to be very pricey either. It seems like these restaurants are built upon tradition and they tend to stay away from Americanizing their food.

"Getting the Goods" was a similar topic that we discussed in week 1 on How we Shop for Food. The author talked about the fresh ingredients and tradition.

Posted by jord0206 at 12:25 AM

How we Shop For Food

How We Shop For Food

I often eat out way too much and its coming to a point where I get disgusted with it. I am sort of a fat man in disguise. Im so small and petite but I eat as if I were obese. From the fall of 2004 til now, I can say that my roommates and I have been grocery shopping a total number of two times. I am really concerned about my health and after reading these articles I still have qualms about whats a healthy diet. Even at the grocery store you still have to wonder how certain things were processed and if it's healthy. In reading the articles about the markets, it opened my eyes into shopping for the most freshest foods available. Even though some places are expensive, its always positive in trying to live a healthy life.

Posted by jord0206 at 5:23 PM

Food and Culture/Ethnicity

"A flowering Appetite"

The writer’s background and traditions were easily reflected in this piece. I was able to retain knowledge from her culture and she portrayed a lot of her customs. At the funeral, dishes that reminded her of her grandma were served and it also showed where she came from. I didn’t find too many of the foods that the writer talked about appealing because it’s something that I’m not accustomed to. I have to taste something to see if it’s enjoyable. By reading this descriptive passage, by the way things were described I don’t think I would have cared too much for the foods.

“Barbeque Jamaican Style”

It found it interesting to read this article because it took me back to my experience that I had three weeks ago while vacationing in Atlanta for the Caribbean Festivities. Reggae music played the entire weekend and I was introduced to a different culture. For some reason I got a kick out of it when I heard “Rasta Man”. I was introduced to many different types of food and I enjoyed the spiciness of them. I find myself wanting to go to the Caribbean’s to experience more of their culture because I was amazed by the way things were so much different from my culture.

“Devil with a Red Apron On”

After reading the first few paragraphs it seemed as if the writer’s mom was a housewife. “….all she has to do write several dozen e-mails, wash and iron my father’s underwear, vacuum the drapes, and reorganize drawer.” I found it to be hilarious when she asked her son if he really wanted to know her secret to cooking and she replied “then stand here for the next 43 years and you’ll get the hang of it.” Like one of my Aunts, she felt that if you had to follow instructions and use the exact measures that were given to you, then you limiting yourself and you could never become a great cook.

Posted by jord0206 at 11:46 PM

Food History;Why we Love Specific Foods.

Some points from this reading "Ode to an Egg" that interested me was when "the girls big fresh eggs weren't cooked as long as the young man's and he was happy with his which he diced up with the spoon and ate with only the flow of butter to moisten them." I can recall that whenever a man is generally in the kitchen he takes longer to prepare a dish because they try to put 100% love into it and make things perfect. While reading this part in the passage it made me reflect on how I function in the kitchen. Even if I screw up on something, I still take pride in it and eat it as it was the best dish ever.
"Simple ingredients make the occasion more memorable"...... and I can say that just about anything that is simple and delicious is something to remember.
I enjoy eggs and I also experienced my wisdom teeth getting pulled out of my mouth and all I ate was eggs.

Some interesting points that I took from reading "Lets Be Frank", is how the writer talked about after a certain age then your chances of staying beautiful and in shape are slim. She basically says that it doesn't matter anymore but some people try to make it as their full time job to stay fit.
I also grasped that in the summertime on a sunny beach, the weather wears you down and you simply just get tired and hungry. Franks and chips are the most convenient things to be accessible to. Hot Dogs and Chips have always seemed to go with the beach atmosphere for some reason.
In contrary, even though the aroma of franks and the chips to compliment them are the crave for the summer, surfing and swimming substitute as an exercise to do while on the beach.

In "Something from the Oven" I found it to be very interesting in how the comany's marketed their cake products. I picked up that a woman being able to bake and innovative at it gave her a sense of identity. My Aunt loves to bake and she refuses to bake a cake from the instructions on the back because she feels that it's unoriginal. Anyone can do that.

Final Thought: Some of these passages went on tangents and was overly analyzed.

Posted by jord0206 at 12:47 AM

FOOD ID

1. My favorite foods include breakfast food. I can eat any type of it for breakfast, lucnh, and dinner. My roommates and I live off of pancakes especially because we are broke. Cereal can be filling too after about three bowls. Fruity Pebbles, captain crunch, cinnamon toast crunch, and frosted flakes are some to name. I also enjoy lasanga, pizza's, and pasta's. I love some Liberian dishes as well. It is very spicy.

I really can't think of any foods that I can't stand. There are foods that I prefer over the other at times but im pretty much open to everything.

2. One of my favorite plaes to have dinner on a friday night is at applebee's. Its convenient for everyone and cheap as well. Its just a place to hang out and be social at.

3. A meal that my family eats for a major holiday or event consists of Roast, Macoronni and cheese, Yams, Greens, Dressing, Ham, Turkey, Cranberries, Fruits, Cakes, and one of my favorite desserts.....peach cobbler!

4. The most unusual thing that I have ever ate is this traditional african dish called fufu. Its sort of like dough and it is dipped in some type of sauce. You aren't suppose to chew it because if so then you will be chewing for days but its suppose to be swallowed.

5. I'm not the greatest cook in the world. I cook more conventional things such as pizzas and microwaveable foods. Some things that I might make on the stove are Ramon noodles, mac and cheese, mash potatoes, or hamburger helper.

6. A typical week night dinner is sitting in drive-thru at McDonalds or Wendy's. My roommates and I usually eat out all the time which is very costly.

7. My mom did the most cooking when I was growing up because that the role she stepped up and played. She was more creative and versatile with the things she cooked. My dad cooked ever once in a while but he worked a lot.

8.Just about all of my food at home comes from the grocery store.

Posted by jord0206 at 12:23 PM