My big practice room

When I sat down and thought about a place that was meaningful to me, I found that the fourth or fifth one that popped up in my head was the most important to me. I am a jazz saxophonist and I practice at least once a day for about an hour or two. Ive done this in a number of places, but my current practice room is by far my favorite. The way this room sounds is unlike anything i have ever experienced. This is about 90% of the reason this is my favorite place. It sounds so good, I am still astonished everytime. Not only this, it is also very big, unlike the usual small practice room, but its not too big. The lighting is perfect for reading music and playing in general, and the lighting is also perfect with the lights off. Not to mention the amenities in the room for when I get bored or frustrated. The room Im talking about is our chapter room in our house, so there is a pool table, ping pong table, fooseball, bubble hockey, and a dumb video game. I really only ever play pool and ping pong though. This room also allows my housemates to hear me play too, when they insist on playing pool while I practice. This room is special to me beacuse it is where I play my sax, and that is special to me. The way it sounds, or the acoustics of this room has got to be its 'genius loci'. Its what does it for me!

I chose this image, and I did take it and edit it this time, because I think it captures the warmth that I feel when im in the room praticing and also the warmth of my sound and the tremendous sound of the room.

I apologize for the poor quality, I had shrink it so it would fit, Im still working on it.

DSC04732.JPG

Here is an idea of how this room sounds. This is me playing the John Coltrane Ballad "Naima" in this room with background music.

Have a listen, it does work.

Naima

5th St. Saftey?

dark road.jpg

A problem I would like to fix in my own environment is the lighting on my street. Im talking about 5th St., which is lit up very poorly at night and I personally feel very unsafe when my friends walk down it late at night(which we do almost every night). There has been a history of crime on this street, including students being robbed at gunpoint and knife-point. We also get confronted by bums/hobos, whatever you prefer, quite often. They are more or less harmless, but they are annoying and lights might make them want to sleep somewhere else. Once we make it to dinkytown, the lighting is fine, but there is a 3 block strech of unsafe walking. I am especially concerned for my female housemates when they have to walk alone, its just not a good road to walk. Not to mention the times when my friends and I make the walk when we are a little less "alert" and careful. I would like the city to put in a few more street lights to make us feel safe on our food runs. This wouldn't cost very much money and it really just has to be done. Probably wont happen, but I know Im not the only one that thinks this is necessary. It shouldnt be put off until someone gets shot or kidnapped, but I guess thats how the city works.

I also cant be credited for this picture. Thats all Google.

Midtown Market . . .

I visited the Midtown market on one of it's slower days, yet I still found it to be an exciting place to do some shopping. I felt very safe, I did not expect that at all. I expected a much more run down, dirty and eneasy type of area. The people were great, very friendly and willing to help me out. I wasn't able to stay for very long and try some of the foods. I would assume the food is great. It reminded me of a farmers market type of place, which is great for fresh produce and such. I think thats awesome to be able get fresh fruit and veggies in the middle of the city. As for the stucture and environment, I thought it was great. It was very well kept and I really enjoyed the use of natural lighting. To sum things up, I had a great experience during my very brief visit to this area. I enjoyed it.

I included a picture of some of the fresf produce that was available. My favorite, the chili peppers. I would also note that just by looking at the man in the picture, most would say he looks like a nice guy. That was the general feeling I got from the whole crowd.

Also, I forgot my camera so I had to get this picture from the website. So dont give me credit.

Image-EF412550BDE311D7.jpg