« Elegant interfaces | Main | For Laughs »

Deborah Mersky Lecture / Workshop

Students who attended the Deborah Mersky clay printing workshop or lecture can post their comments below...

mersk2.jpg

I absolutely loved Deborah's work. The clay stamped pieces were my favorite. If she sold posters of the prints she made I would like to buy some. Her steel pieces were good too. I like how she encorporated the environment into what she made.

Posted by: Laura Murphy | February 12, 2008 09:04 PM

I really like the window designs at one of the light rail stations. And the stamping of the clay stamps were also amazing in the repetition of them and the way she worked with color and the background out of old pages of books and dictionaries. O also the piece with the crabs, that she loves to eat!

Posted by: Kathryn Deitner | February 13, 2008 09:19 AM

I thought Deborah's lecture was interesting. I thought it was quite interesting to see a completely different side to her work than there was available on her website. I didn't know what to think of her book pages as a medium - thinking about how they would hold up over time, and such things. But she addressed that she was purely interested in the aesthetic qualities of this medium - which I thought was interesting.
I also thought it was cool to hear her talk about the whole process of fining different companies to aid her in her public works. Getting the metal cut somewhere, then finished another place, and then having help installing these public works. It was a really great inside view as to how these artists work within the public realm.

I didn't realize how many times I said "interesting". On a related note: proofreading is also interesting.

My favorite works done by Deborah were her stamp pieces that were influenced by eastern hunting practices. I also thought it was interesting that hunting and enlightenment/intelligence were so closely entwined in that culture, and I liked the way she tried to convey that in her work.

It was nice to connect her work with something familiar. I have rode the Light Rail numerous times, and have never thought of connecting the design elements to an actual artist. I think that her pieces of work are very intricate and interesting. It was informative to realize how she creates her pieces of work and the level of craftmanship goes into each piece. Now whenever I go home to the cities, I will look more closely at the works that she did.

I really enjoyed the presentation by Deborah. My favorite pieces where her out doors pieces, such as the work done on the waster plant. I loved how the colors played with the shapes. It all just worked well together. Another thing I liked about her work was that it was so free and forgiving. It looked like it would be alot of fun to create a piece like that and I can see how she would enjoy that.

I thought it was really interesting how big of an impact one artists can make. It was really interesting to see how her public arts affected the community in which they were placed in. I really appreciate the effort she makes to get to know the area that her work will be displayed in.

I had never heard of Deborah Mersky before Joellyn had told us about her lecture/workshop. She had a few interesting pieces that appealed to me.A lot of her work that was created on different types of newspaper didn't really appeal to me until I saw more and more of them. After seeing quite a few, I kind of enjoyed the difference of it.
I also liked how when she had artwork that was grid like, she didn't try to match up each line and section so that it would fit perfectly. It was almost as if she was saying that it has some unity but at the same time it doesn't.

I definitely enjoyed Deborah's lecture, because after seeing the pieces she has on her website and in different online galleries, I was really curious about her process(es). I wish I could have been able to go to the clay print demo... but at least now, after the lecture, I can understand, somewhat, how it is she does what she does. I love her use of mixed media, printing on book pages, interest in textiles, implementation of the natural world... all of these things that lend to her style. Best lecture I've been to! And it was great to see how many people turned out.

I am so appreciative of Deborah taking time out of her life to come to UMD and not only give a lecture, but also for her 2-day demo. It's rare that we students have a chance to actually learn the process the artist does in his or her work, and I really enjoyed that aspect of Deborah's visit.

As a ceramist myself, I thought her process using a clay block to print was really unique, and she inspired me to incorporate my love for clay in the reproduction of images. I used to be set on being a potter, but in the last year or so, I've kind of been burnt out on just throwing pot after pot on a wheel. This process is one that I think I will adapt in my creative process-- it'll be a great way for me to incorporate my ceramic, drawing, and photography skills... i have big ideas now after what I learned from Deborah. Out of all the lectures I've attended, she has been the most influential, inspiring, and entertaining.

before attending Deborah Mersky's lecture and 2 day demo I was very interested in how she made her artwork. I viewed some of her works online and found that she had a similar illustration style to myself and really wondered how she did it. I was really intrigued at how she goes about making her pieces. Carving imagery out of clay and using them like a stamp and having similar results as screen print makes her works really unique. Also her use of different papers(money, book pages, cotton) to collage in her art is really neat. Another really interesting thing about her artwork is that she has many public installations that used unique methods to display them. Deborah is very inspiring and was glad to have been able to make her work and work alongside her a little bit at her printmaking demo.

this is the print I made in the demo

Deborah's print-making demo and lecture were very inspiring. I found a great deal of satisfaction watching a full-time artist exploring her own processes in front of eager students and then later watching how those processes translated into public art. It was also a breath of fresh air to see an artist working with new and innovative techniques.

Deborah Mersky Lecture:

I must say first that UMD's special guests are all incredible and we are so lucky to get a chance to see artist's work from all around the country. I found Deborah's work to be so incredibly inspiring because I understand the difficulty, time and precise technique required to create anything involving printmaking and transfer. The precision of Deborah's work is amazing- the lines are so perfect that I find myself looking more at her technical ability sometimes versus her conceptual idea. I took printmaking last year and I was anything but good at it. I'm not one for huge instillations or over powering pieces, so my favorite of her work involved many of the "tribal", primitive pieces. I love art history and a local Duluth artist- Lori Hohman's work, which I find to be similar to Deborah's in terms of concept, media and artist practice. I love interactive lecture/demos and I think UMD should always try to push for them if possible because you can transform your person knowledge with that giving in the lecture, and ever further once you get a change to sit along side the artist and see for yourself how the process works. The last demo like this I saw at UMD was from Scott Rench and it was great. These artists open our minds to new forms of art, by taking different forms of studio an digital media and creating something new.

If you're still on the fence: grab your favorite earphones, head down to a Best Buy and ask to plug them into a Zune then an iPod and see which one sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile more. Then you'll know which is right for you.