Digital Narrative Assignment / Summer Session

Fairy tales and Myths can provide a rich starting point for a digital media project. Passed down from oral storytellers through literary traditions to new media, they are always altered by retelling to reflect the needs of the storyteller and the aesthetics of the time. Because the story is so well known, it can be altered significantly and still remain resonant and recognizable to the contemporary audience. Please select a story so old that it likely began in the oral tradition, rather than as a work of fiction by an individual author.

Powerpoint slides introducing Digital Narrative ideas :
http://www.d.umn.edu/~jrock2/dignarratives/narratives.html

Please post to the blog here:
Your name / Your story choice / + How you may break down the tale into 10 key moments
What draws you to this tale (characters, setting, action, images)?
How will you update this tale for the digital age?

Your visual design plan should include:
Title of story, main characters, key plot points, narrative arc or transformation. Show inspiration for your visual look, a color palette and texture or clues to your visual treatment of this old tale.
visual_plan.pdf

What visual qualities will unify your images? What digital tools and techniques will you use? Will you use any mixed media? What is the final size, media and format you want to create?

Ronni VanDenBoom

I chose "The Crow's Nest". Since I am choosing to do a comic book style for this assignment, the breakdown of scenes will be a bit more fluid. My comic will be dark (blacks, dark yellows, oranges, etc) and "grungy" to convey the dark mood of the story. I am using different fabric textures as a brush in photoshop to help achieve this grungy look.
My breakdown includes the mother and son staring at a barren cupboard and the mother killing the son, the family eating, the sister finding the bones and placing them in the tree, the hatching of the crow, the crow with a human shadow, the crow singing/receiving gifts, the crow flying back home, giving the gift to the father, then to the sister, then killing the mother.
I was intrigued by the tale as I thought it was an interesting use of the crow in a tale and also covered the taboo subject of cannibalism. The story will be modernized via its "steampunk" style and color palette. I will used mixed media via using a book binding technique on my comic. The final size will be a standard comic book size (17"x11" folded out).

Desiree Harper

I chose the fairytale of La Llorona (The Weeping Woman) because my boyfriend's family is originally from Guatemala and this is a tale that is told to scare the children out of being out on their own after dark.

1. La Llorona in love with the man
2. La Llorona fighting with the man
3. La Llorona bringing the boy to the water
4. La Llorona drowning her son
5. La Llorona depressed
6. La Llorona jumping off of a cliff
7. The ghost of La Llorona waiting by the shore
8. The children approaching La Llorona
9. La Llorona bringing the children into the water
10. La Llorona drowning the children

I am choosing to use Guatemalan textile silhouettes for the main components of this project and am also planning on making this into a printed book with a fabric cover that has "La Llorona" hand stitched into it. The digital part of the tale will be the printed pages of the book that were created by cutting images out of fabric in Photoshop.