« Visual Culture Lecture: Rocky McCorkle | Main | Art in the Era of the Internet »

Visual Culture Lecture: Gregory Volk

2011-12 Visual Culture Lecture Series
March 20 @ 6:00 PM in Montague Hall 70
Gregory Volk, art critic and curator
VolkPaine.jpeg
Read Volk's article about Roxy Paine's Maelstrom here:
http://www.artinamericamagazine.com/features/roxy-paine/

Gregory Volk is a New York-based art critic and freelance curator. He
writes regularly for Art in America, and his articles and reviews have
also appeared in many other publications, including Parkett and
Sculpture. Among his recent contributions to exhibition catalogues are
essays on Joan Jonas (Museu d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona, 2007) and
Bruce Nauman (Milwaukee Art Museum, 2006). His essay on Vito Acconci
is featured in Vito Acconci: Diary of a Body, 1969 - 1973, published
by Charta in 2007. Together with Sabine Russ, Gregory Volk has curated
numerous exhibitions, including Agitation and Repose at Tanya Bonakdar
Gallery in New York, Public Notice: Paintings in Laumeier Sculpture
Park in St. Louis, and Surface Charge at the Anderson Gallery in
Richmond, Virginia. Gregory Volk received his B.A. from Colgate
University and his M.A. from Columbia University.

Extra Credit >> Make some notes on this lecture tonight and post your comments here to the blog by the end of Wednesday. About 100-150 words about what ideas you found most surprising or interesting in Gregory Volk's talk tonight.

I will admit that these speakers are not always my favorite things in the world. I go because I have to and sometimes I find things I like, but most of the time I don’t. While I found it hard to pay attention to this guy at times, I did find myself zoning out at some of the pictures he was showing. The painting pictures really caught my attention. I think that would be a lot of fun to paint in a giant room like that! I also really liked the spiral one in the water. To create something like that would be amazing! And the last thing that I really liked was the chairs. I thought it was cool and funny when they shot out of the windows. I never would have guessed that that would have been called art!

New York critic, Gregory Volk, was very interesting to listen too. He really opened my eyes to what my art should be like. He talked a lot about Ralph Waldo Emerson, who I admire as well. Emerson believed that art making is about searching and investing in yourself. Volk goes on to explain a concept he calls the translucent eyeball, which pretty much entails taking risk, being free, and unorthodox with your work. I really enjoyed the four artists he decided to talk about in his lecture. All of them had something in common, they were risk takers. They started out drawing within the lines, but eventually they all become more abstract and began to work on bigger scales and explored their work in whole new ways. Volk has inspired me to think outside of the box and to not limit myself when I create my art.

I always like when the speakers tell about themselves growing up and their background. I really think this has a lot to do with why they are where they are now. I enjoyed the idea of a poem not just being so many meters and such but it needs a "meter making argument" that art needs a reason or a meaning, it shouldn't just be pretty. I loved Ayse Erkmen, one of the artists that Gregory introduced us to. The idea of adapting to the place and using whatever is around her was really interesting to me. I also enjoyed looking at Roman Signer's work. It was silly and most of the time him just doing something because he can. I am happy that I went to this lecture, he helped to further expand my knowledge of what is possible with art and what art is.