« About this Blog | Main | Dijital Pasaj »

Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird

Graphic Design 1 students are asked to explore the poem, Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird, by Wallace Stevens. Students create a tiled format that expresses the images and ideas they discover in the poem. They are encouraged to work in strong black and white, abstracting imagery when possible, and emphasizing their use of positive and negative space relationships. This project serves as a warm up to the Rumi poetry project, which offers them more freedom.

Halime and Murat, Professors from Ankara Turkey were visiting our class as we worked on this project. We discussed the use of poetry as subject matter for expressive typographic and image works. Students exchanged personal interpretations of the text of the poem, and we discovered similarities and differences in how the poem may be experienced by readers from different cultures.

Good web site! I really love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I'm wondering how I could be notified whenever a new post has been made. I've subscribed to your RSS feed which must do the trick! Have a nice day!

The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod's. It works well, but isn't as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that's not an issue, but if you're planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod's larger screen and better browser may be important.