Final Schedule & Project: Graphics Revolution 2013

For your final project you are asked to revise or extend on imagery/ideas you have already started. Please consult with me and ask as needed for help. Try to choose a project that had potential but could be longer, revised or have another form of output.

Again- you are asked to learn something new or deepen you knowledge of a skill that you only touched on. For example- if you flip book did not work out very well, consider a larger, 3 color screen print. If you have not used the laser cutter, consider using it (you have $$ in there).

Please continue to work with the themes of the class: digital manual crossover, archives of graphic material, the graphic hand printed and digitally animated, distribution of printed ephemera, etc.

Schedule:
4.23.- Discuss project and post proposal paragraph below by the end of class (required), with any links to references or previous works. Be clear about what you hope to accomplish and the timeline for doing it.
4.25.- More in-depth multi-layered screenprinting and registration, examples of works.
Reading assignment

4.30.- Reading discussion. In progress critique of projects, work day
5.2.- Field trip, TBD

5.7.- Work Day
5.9.- Project due. Final critique and celebration of your amazing and beautiful, life-changing projects

Saturday 5. 11. PORTFOLIOS DUE IN CLEAN ROOM (drawer) BY END OF NIGHT
note: screen must be clean by this time or you will not be issued a grade

Please turn in your Open Source Graphics project as well as any revised/redone projects and email me links with subject lines: final portfolio.

5.16. 1:30-3:30 Finals time and studio clean up (required) return of portfolios
drawers must be cleaned out by the end of the day

For the final project I would like to make a large 3 color screen print. The image I will use is based off of the “Tacocat’s Tophats” comic that I made for the second project. After just being introduced to Jim Woodring and his “Frank” comics a few weeks ago, I was inspired to create an image that quotes the imagery of the Vedanta, the practice that Woodring follows. I hand drew and digitally colored the image, and I will use it as a jumping off point for my screen print. I want to do a large scale, 3-color format, which will be similar in color to this digital image. I will also print off the digital image in the DSB. I think it will be nice to compare the digitally printed image to the hand printed image. I also would like to get better at screen-printing.

My image: http://www.michaelmoen.org/image/48478711144
Prjct 2:http://frenchfrypizza.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/comic_layoutweb.jpg
Source Material: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SriNimbarkacarya.jpg

Kristin Havercamp
My final project will be a series of three medium/large-scale prints, each 24” by 16”. My focus is turning 35mm film into a digital photo collage and finishing the image with a one layer screen print. I often experiment with double exposure in while shooting in film, but this time I will manually create the double exposure after the film is already shot. I bought a gloss medium/varnish for which I will use as the ink for the screen print, and it will consist of a bitmap which is the completed photo on each print (3 in total). The screen printed varnish/gloss is what will bring the two film photographs (which are super imposed and digitally edited) to appear as one and truly a whole, finished ‘photograph’. A big point of this process is to confuse the viewers, where they will hopefully not be able to figure out the media combined to create the artworks (the in-between-ness of processes, film->digital->photoshop manipulating->screen print varnish topping).

I have chosen a series of film photos (3 of a plastic blown-up, melted trash can (low-brow beauty) and 3 of different ‘higher-brow’ type of scenes in which I will experiment with. The reason for this is trying to confused the perception of what beauty is, and how people find it. Some people find a glamorous, ritzy, expensive wedding to be beautiful, and others simply trash. I am deciding in photoshop which photos will go over each scene, and then I will do a lot of manipulation so the two seem like they were meant to be together in the first place. The titles of the three prints are "1wa$hed", "twa2hed" and "twa$h3d".

TIMELINE
---
Prints will be completed by May 1st (Wednesday)

Week from 7-11th
Laser experimentation will be done during the last week–laser cutting out these manually made double exposure film/digital photographs into red vellum. These will be postcard sized.

Depending on $$$$, I may also decide to make just one HUGE laser print on red vellum, of the wedding/trash scene. (but I prefer this idea :-) )

For my final project, I want to explore my "Real" image I had worked on for the second project. I am planning on printing a much larger edition of the stickers. Also, this time I will be incorporating a QR code that links to the Tumblr blog I created in the last project. Besides just taking photos of the locations of the image, I plan on taking some documentation of the process itself, and add that into the blog. Besides the stickers, I am going to make a gif animation. I will use the image in a loop, and start and end with the original "Real" image. The words will dissipate and be recreated in the beginning and end of the animation. The figure's head will move around the space, and slowly the animation will zoom in closer and closer into her eye. Once inside the iris, I want to shuffle through different images of my friends (who are willing to participate) to show how different bodies are beautiful in their own ways. Showing that "Real" means any real woman. I will upload this gif so that it is at the top of the blog, and will be the first thing people will see when they scan the QR code.

That's what I'm working on so far!

Kristin Havercamp

TIMELINE
---

Week from 7-11th

For my final project I plan to revisit imagery from my wooly mammoth linocut / animation, scaling up the mammoth to create a 2 or 3 layer screenprint poster. I will distribute these posters by hand to residences in my area (mindful of potential mailbox felonies), putting the posters in large envelopes covered with used stamps from multiple countries, but mysteriously with no address or return address. I also plan to create a personalized rubber cancellation mark with the laser cutter, which I will use to print over the used stamps. I will include a link to the mammoth flash animation I made for project #2 on the back of the poster or on the envelope.

Through this project I hope to accomplish several goals, including further exploring my interest in mail (or fake mail) art; refocusing on my mammoth linocut image, which I felt got lost in my animation and postcards during project #2; using the laser cutter for the first time; broadening the audience for my mammoth animation; exploring my interest in works that combine found objects with original imagery in an interesting, playful, or meaningful way; and hopefully making a stranger happy, surprised, and/or confused. I’m also particularly interested in the connection between this project and project #2, and their combined ability to explore or to blur the boundaries between the global and local, as well as the anonymous and the intimate.

Timeline-
Before or on…
April 25: Figure out rubber stamp needs, finalize poster image files, print poster transparencies in DSB, prepare screens
April 30: Acquire paper and envelopes, print posters, work on envelopes
May 2: Print posters, work on envelopes, get rubber stamp lasered
May 7: Finalize envelopes to distribute (fold posters, affix stamps, cancellation mark), distribution and documentation

References-
Mammoth linocut image: http://i.imgur.com/kpfrKqP.jpg

Cancellation mark inspiration: http://junosplace.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/jsimfrenchcancelmarks.jpg

Discuss project and post proposal paragraph below by the end of class (required), with any links to references or previous works. Be clear about what you hope to accomplish and the timeline for doing it.

Based on class consensus and my "fun" requirement for this project - I will be making shirts using my sticker design of the man with his head being ripped open. I will be taking that image and printing it - and then I will be able to print custom or varied words inside the "text bubble." I think t-shirts will not only be fun to make but will be yet another way of getting my imagery out there and spreading messages to people.

TIMELINE: (all of this will be juggled between figuring out my final for my intermediate and advanced classes. i may just take them one at a time and check them off a list.)

April 25: Get transparency figured out. Track down shirts.

April 30: Prepare screen/possibly print.

May 2: Print another layer of text.

May 7: Finalize

I posted on Tuesday but it never showed up... :(

Anyway, for my final project, I am taking the sentence "This phrase means absolutely nothing" and placing it in google translate, repeatedly translating it into other languages to make gobbledy gook. Then I am going to create an animation from the screenshots I will take from each translation and put that on the interwebs. Then I will create a propaganda poster using an original illustration and some of those phrases, and then place a QR code on the poster linking to the animation of the translating.

Source material:

http://translate.google.com/

Source material:

http://translate.google.com/

Timline for my Final Project (detailed proposal above)

April 25: Have most of the Gif done

April 30: Have pictures of friends/ finish Gif and have Transparency for Screen Print

May 2: Begin printing, have Sticker Paper

May 6: Finish printing/ post stickers up around Minneapolis and document everything. Put pictures and Gif on "Real" Blog

May 9: All done! Critique

My final project will be animation style illustration video. This will create a drawing process with coloring that ties in a story as the drawing develops. The time will be sped again depending on the length of the process and music will be added along with the video.

Plan to have drawings started and rough trial done next week and finalize the version and record it before finals week so i can do all final tweaking and work the days before critique.

For my final project I will be revisiting my imagery of the femme fatale and the city. This time I would like to create a series of these images and put them on stickers. Putting them on stickers will put this imagery in the context without the intimate quality of the bookmark and put them in a more "public" environment. I will also be excluding the use of the fabric that gave them a more feminine, delicate aesthetic and instead printing them in white on black, creating a more graphic, iconic appearance. I plan on giving these stickers out to random people as well as friends in order to create a random dispersal of the images.
I am also debating on adding a text or "name" to add to the stickers as well. "La Femme Simone," the name Simone means "heard" or in Greek, "loud." This would imply some sort of message and would create a title for this imagery, as conspicuous as it is. This is only a thought and may be executed only on some of the stickers.

TIMELINE:

April 25 - work on finishing the images on Photoshop

April 30 - print off the images on transparency and start test printing on paper, play around with different color combinations and different fonts for the text

May 2 - start printing on sticker paper...hope all goes well:)

May 6 - finish up printing and add the finisher to protect stickers. Start handing out stickers and putting some up myself and document.

May 9 - Critique. Give stickers out to class.