FINAL EXAM!!!

Final Exam Graphics Revolution 2102
Due Monday 12.17. before 10:30 (no late submissions)

Find something that is NOT on The Internet

This is a qualitative exam, meaning that your effort to find something engaging to share with us that meets these requirements is essential. Do not just use your first idea- do some research and work with the exam in a conceptual way that responds to the context of this class.

It CANNOT be:

a specific item that fits into a general category (i.e. this Maple Leaf--Maple Leaves and tons of info & images about them are on the internet for sure)

something you make (this is an easy out and we already thought about it)

It must be something that is already in the world already that is NOT on The Internet

Exam Requirements
Write up a well-written, edited paragraph and any links to images to post on this page before the start of our final exam on Monday at 10:30. Late posts will not be accepted and any extra effort to include images is encouraged.

Present your findings during critique on Monday in a well-articulated way as to why you chose this solution and how it reflects on Graphics Revolution!

Good luck!!!

“Something that is not on the Internet”

(For Graphics Revolution)
Fall 2012

Highly classified secret and confidential documents such as official U. S. chemical warfare manuals or the C.I.A’s drone kill list cannot be found on the Internet. Some information or images that are not accessible directly may reside in archives in the Deep Web or Dark net; however, the Dark Internet is a portion of the Internet no longer accessible through conventional means. Further, there are mysterious macro and micro subjects, which cannot be defined without imagination, such as vast infinite space or the “ Higgs-Boson” which is invisible and cannot be rendered as actual images on the internet. The Higgs-Boson particle can be proven but not shown without being conceptually conceived and imagined. Highly secret and mysterious subjects of vital importance are denied access on the Internet because of the Internet’s distributive power. Further, these subjects are allowed access for fees which are privately logged such as Google’s business relationship with NSA) The biggest question is what is on the Internet (how it’s used ) that’s being captured by others, but not documented. It is the distributive power of the digital media, which underscores the vital significance of digital media as important vehicles for content in memory, reason and imagination. Exceptional graphic arts encompass all three categories and are served well with immense power in digital and graphic form.

When I started to think about this final exam prompt I quickly realized that finding a physical item as a solution was nearly impossible. This was also the moment that I realized that this class had turned from an art class to a philosophy lesson. As I thought about what this thing could possibly be I kept coming up with solutions that were almost there but always seemed to be lacking in one of the requirements. The funny part is that the solution I choose was actually right in front of my eyes. It is probably one of the most prominent things within anyone's life and it is funny how we walk around all day and don't even think about it as being a thing. It is also impossible for this thing to be on the Internet (which I found it hard to believe that anything was for sure not on the internet which is why all my first ideas got thrown out) but with this solution I was certain, and that solution is "the present experience" meaning this second, no this one...no this one....and so on…So how does this relate to the context of the class? Well, as I started to think of the prompts that would make my solution relative to the context of the class I found that by doing this we all obviously were forced to reflect on what this class was actually about and what it meant to us. I found myself revisiting the idea of multiples. Once I got stuck on this I realized pretty much everything in existence is composed of multiples if you look into it deep enough. For physical things it is the multiple of the atom, but in the case of my solution “present time,” the multiplied thing could be said to be present moments which are composed of seconds and what are seconds? Multiples! Multiples of blank time frames that come into a present moment and become past events. When speaking of time and the internet I believe the internet is mainly composed of past things, but I’m not so sure about the presence or lack of presence of future things on the internet. That is a whole other conversation!
See images of this solution here: http://www.jennifervoth.com/graphics-revolution-final-exam-images.html

http://havemoicy.tumblr.com/image/38130826685

The accompanying image is a photograph I cut out of a 1969 LIFE Magazine, which I framed and which has hung on a wall of every residence I have lived in for the past 10 years. There is an atmosphere to the image, a dreamlike gauze which has given the picture an almost totemic importance and placement in the houses I have lived. It is, however, a photograph from a mass-market publication, meaning it is simply one of literally millions of copies which once existed, of which there are still tens of thousands. In fact, LIFE Magazines are being painstakingly digitized by the archival team at Google, and in researching this assignment I happened to find a digital copy of the very same issue in which I had originally found this photo. Which means all is lost! Every obscure memory and fever dream truly is on the internet, and the analog world is merely a receptacle for the detritus of our avatars! However, this is the image of my revered photograph as it appears to Google:

http://books.google.com/books?id=1VAEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA82&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

Ostensibly, 2 copies of the same photograph, but the digital version has been robbed of its mystique and power. Although arguably the "truer" or more accurate representation of the original image, the digital version is perpetually and permanently a product of the past. Locked into a rigid code of ones and zeros, the digital image cannot age, its colors as vibrant as the day it was digitized. It is, for better or worse, defined in perpetuity. Contrast this with the photograph in the analog world. Paper yellows and crumbles. Inks fade at differing rates. Creases become permanent. Atmospheric and environmental conditions create unalterable change. Every single copy of this photograph which still exists in the physical world is fundamentally different from the last, a sort of collaborative monotype between the object and time. This is what cannot be found on the internet: the beautiful, gradual process of erosion and decay.

Streamable inner voice, recordable dreams

The Internet is often likened to the idea of the collective unconscious, a term used by Carl Jung and other psychoanalysts and theorists as a way to explain how people identify with larger groups. The Internet exists as a medium by which the organization of information and sharing of experiences is happening all the time. My solution for determining something that exists in the world already, but that is not on the Internet is the unfiltered streaming of a person’s inner voice in written, audio, or some visual mixture of text and imagery.

As it stands, I could try to continuously express what is on my mind on the Internet and in effect, “stream” my thoughts in real time. This would be a filtered expression of my thoughts¬I have the choice to edit or not. What I am proposing is a way of transmitting the unfiltered version of information of the self (or as Jung would call it, the personal unconscious) onto the Internet. My stream of consciousness exists in this world, but it cannot be found on the Internet.

Another version of this idea is if it were possible to record/broadcast my dreams while I’m sleeping for later viewing. While we can describe in words, pictures, and through our voices, our thoughts and visions cannot be broadcast for someone else to experience in real time or on a YouTube channel. My dreams exist, but they are not searchable on the Internet.

If these technologies could be developed and manufactured as consumer electronics for use by anyone, it could affect society by its potential for revealing what we currently have the ability to keep to ourselves. There would obviously be issues of privacy, copyright, and authorship. I can imagine a black market of celebrity and world leaders’ dreams and exposed thoughts. It could very easily become a very dystopian scene. But there would surely be an abundance of inspiration, entertainment, scariness, and bizarreness in terms of the source material it would create. Being able to view, experience, or record/reuse someone else’s unfiltered thoughts and dreams would be loaded with interpretable meaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_unconscious
http://csmt.uchicago.edu/glossary2004/collectiveconsciousness.htm

What I have found to not exist on the internet also does not and cannot exist in the physical realm: A person’s innermost thoughts. These thoughts are not ideas that one shares with the world in any form, be it electronic or physical. This internal monologue cannot be watched on YouTube, read on Wordpress, or listened to in a podcast. These are the thoughts in which one never, ever shares with the outside world. They stay dormant in a person’s mind forever. They are not necessarily only dark secrets or the closely guarded judgment of one’s mother-in-law’s chicken liver casserole. These thoughts may also be simple things that one ponders, actively or passively, throughout the day that never escape out to the world. The reason a person’s internal monologue can never truly exist on the internet or the physical realm is that as soon as it is typed onto a screen, written in a notebook, or even uttered in an empty room, it is no longer an inner-thought; it transforms from an introverted thought to an extroverted thought. As soon as it escapes a person’s mind, it exists in a different form as it can be interpreted, translated, manipulated, or inspire a response from a third party or source. As I write this paragraph, my inner-thoughts are being repeated onto my laptop screen, which will then also exist on the internet, when I post it to the class blog. An inner-thought cannot exist on the internet, because once it exists anywhere else other than the original thinker’s mind, it no longer is a unique thought solely to the person whose mind to it belongs, thus making it no longer internal but external. This relates to Graphics Revolution, as it gets increasingly difficult to classify the pieces created in this class as only digital or physical. A physical art piece assumes the role of an internal thought. As long as it only exists within the physical realm, it remains a solely physical piece. As soon as a digital element is added, or the piece is scanned or even photographed with a digital camera, it becomes part of the digital realm and is no longer a solely physical art piece. A fine example is the final piece I created for this class. I took a roll of super8 film, which only existed in the physical realm. I then scanned it into my computer, isolated the frames and printed them on polyester litho plates, which were then printed onto the pages of the book before you. Is the book digital art because the images were translated through the computer? Also, now that the roll of super8 film has been scanned into the computer is it now a digital film?

http://s14.postimage.org/rdn46uf9b/hair2.gif

On a shelf in my father's house is a worn blue folder. It contains the
Memoirs of Catharine Hazel Troth Nichols Rice. Catherine was my great
great grandmother. The account covers the first twenty-two years of
her life, from1888 to 1910. She sent it to my father Christmas of 1984
(she lived to the age of 99). The book is made up of pages written on
a manual typewriter and of black and white photographs with neatly
written captions. The pictures are pasted to cardstock, and each such
page is in a plastic sleeve. This object, the memoir, is not on the
internet. There are, of course, family histories on the internet;
however, Catherine's memoir is a pre-internet artifact. It's a
singular object, with weight and stains, a faded cover, signs of age.
It's susceptible to time. And it's an item she made, that she touched
and held and handled. The memoir could be scanned and put on the
internet, and it might look much the same. But my experience of it as
a thing would not be the same. When I hold it and turn the pages I
hold time past—both in terms of her memories of her childhood and the
work of memory she did as a woman in her nineties. I see her
handwriting, the ink soaked into the paper, and I see in the
typewritten text the uneven strike of the typewriter keys. A pale
version of that experience can be depicted on the internet, but it can
not be replicated.

http://media-cache-lt0.pinterest.com/upload/54817320436202927_8LTacs5C.jpg

http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com/upload/54817320436202930_BGr8KRfu.jpg

http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest.com/upload/54817320436202944_sGkRT6jf.jpg

There’s No Accounting for Taste Online

These days, you can find virtually everything on the internet. When searching out things that I thought wouldn’t be online, I found everything I thought (or perhaps hoped) I wouldn’t. I found an image of a car my grandpa used to own parked outside my grandparents’ house. I found maps of trails I thought I had invented. I found religious artifacts that are meant to be sacred and private. But when I say I found virtually everything, I mean just that. Everything online is virtual, meaning that it cannot be touched, or felt, smelled or tasted. Unless you are the one who took the photo, you are assuming something about everything that is online. Judging by the look of a photo, I can (usually rightfully) assume that, say, the grass in the photo would feel to the touch just like the grass I touch everyday. I can assume that the puppy in the photos my friend posted would be soft and warm, and would maybe even have that puppy smell. But there is no real way to know, unless I was there. Which brings me back to my main point – everything online is virtual, and you can find images of pretty darn much everything you ever wanted to find, but you can never taste something, smell something, feel the texture of something online. And that is what the online experience is missing, and what keeps us going out into the real world instead of just sitting around getting everything from our screens. Anyone who has sat on Pinterest for any amount of time has experienced the longing to dig into one of the amazing, delicious looking, gourmet meals that are photographed with recipes so you can try it at home (in just three easy steps!), but humans need touch, we need smell, we need taste. And these are things that can only be virtually assumed from the internet, but never fully experienced.

Bailey Haack

Take two.
Smell is not on the Internet. There have been attempts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_scent_technology
But no successes. The concept peaked around the year 2000 with DigiScents: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/7.11/digiscent.html

If the Internet had the capability of bringing downloadable and "playable" scents to the home computer the same way sound plays through a speaker, the digital experience would be heightened, bringing the Internet even closer to "virtual reality."

http://www.howstuffworks.com/internet-odor1.htm
http://www.forbes.com/2000/10/23/1023techam.html;$sessionid$XWJHLYYAADZYTQFIAGWCFFQ
http://www.scentcom.co.il/