New tools for building on past practices

Where can journalists learn the new technologies? Blogging, videos, podcasting, digg, delicious, flickr? What are they good for? How about Twitter and text messaging and tags and clouds? What's Facebook and MySpace?
These questions are not limited to journalists of course.

Continue reading "New tools for building on past practices" »

Citizen Journalism- Is it Really News?

(Draft)
The explosion of so-called Citizen Journalism websites around the country has opened doors for unprecedented community contributions to journalism. Are these the works of "real" journalists? Depends on who you talk to, of course. The contributors to local efforts like the Twin Cities Daily Planet and The Uptake claim they are very much journalists. There are many others like Don Shelby and___ who state they are not. For Shelby its ostensibly a matter of vetting- is it a practice of citizen journalists to fact-check their stories. And there is the matter of training.

Jeff Jarvis
Kovach and Rosenstiel
Workday Minnesota
Examples from "Citizen Media:Fad or the Future of News?"

Blogs are so 2004...

So says Paul Boutin WIRED Magazine this month. Well that's just great. Since I have chosen to use a blog for my class project I find this a little unsettling. I thought it would a good place to post my explorations about the "Future of the News" and now I found I've chosen a tool from the new tech toolbox that's passe. However: This provides a good stepping off point to look at a few questions raised by the readings, speakers, and videos.

Thinking about launching your own blog? Here's some friendly advice: Don't. And if you've already got one, pull the plug.

Continue reading "Blogs are so 2004..." »