- Sandpaper bottoms- more griping
- Canvas covered rubber on the bottom for more traction
- Similar inner soles to tennis shoes - more comfort for long-term wear
- More foam-like sole for more comfort (less hard rubber)
- Chargeable wheels, less personal energy used for travel
- Chargeable for stored heat
Best Idea- Sandpaper Soles
Can I change its roughness/materials?
Adapt the texture of sandpaper/gripping properties of sand to increase boot traction.
- Shovel boots
- Salt sprinkling boots
- Tracks and skis like a snowmobile, remote controlled for movement
Best Idea- Salt Sprinkling Boots
Can I merge it with other objects?
Combine with snow plows and lay salt as you walk around.
- Make boots similar to polar bear paws- insulated fur-like lining, textured padded bottoms for comfort
- Chunky metal texture for traction - like snow tire chains
- Similar chemical properties to salt as a coating on soles- for melting ice
- Contraption that shoots up your legs for balance when slipping - like ABS breaks
- Electronic system that takes over control when its slippery - assesses ice conditions for your movement - autopilot system
Best Idea- Salt Soles
What ideas can I incorporate?
Incorporates the chemical structure of salt to melt ice as you walk.
- Make smaller, and multiply checkered pattern on soles for more traction
- Make laces thicker to make them more durable
- Make soles thicker and more shock absorbant
- Increase the thickness of the flannel/fuzzy lining for more warmth
Best Idea- Thicker Soles
What can I make bigger or higher?
More shock absorbant and gets your feet higher out of thick snow covering.
Put to Other Use
- Too heavy and chunky for elderly people - make boots more streamlined for easy walking
- Hard to lace up if you don't have full use of your hands - velcro? mechanism to lace them up for you? slip on? low top boots?
- Can a similar format be used for dog shoes? Rubber traction, fleece warm lining
Could a format similar to dog shoes be used for those with disabilities? More fabric-like structure, easy velcro on secure
Best Idea- Fabric Booties
How would people with different disabilities use it?
Make them easier to put on, and harder to slip off for the elderly.
- Bulk could be eliminated from the base to make boots more lightweight and easier to get around in
- Laces and eyelets could be eliminated and replaced with velcro or elastic
- They could be made out of all one material rather than two, all rubber or all canvas
- The top half could be stretchable material to eliminate a closer entirely- make them slip on
Best Idea- Eliminate Material
What if I made it smaller?
Take away material from the sole to make them lighter and easier to move around in, still keeping traction and water proof qualities.
- Rubber on the inside and flannel on the outside
- Rubber eyelets and a metal sole
- Rubber closure and a metal toe
Best Idea- Rubber Closure/Metal Toe
Can I interchange components?
Stretchy closure to eliminate the need for laces, and a reinforced steel toe.
Table-Based Idea Generation
I created a HIT Matrix to cross components of snow boots with components of a television.
Idea 1- Button for Auto-Lace Up
Automatic locking system, similar to a deadbolt on a door, that go across the tongue of the boots.
Idea 2- LCD Reflector Panels
LCD Screen/Canvas Top
Light up panels for safety at night.
Silly Ideas into Real Ideas
I went through my last few blog posts and picked out the ideas that I had selected, but likely weren't feasible as real products. I re-imagined a few of them to be more realistic.
Idea 1 - Water Soled Boots
This idea came from the water bed boots idea from my brainstorm session last week. Rather than have a water bed, these boots would have a gel-like insole, similar to a gel ice pack. This would add extra comfort and support.
Idea 2- Boot Shovel
This is a re-imagined boot plow. This boot would have a retractable blade that would convert the front of the boot toe into an ice pick/small shovel. This would be remote controlled.
10 Feasible Product Concepts
Idea 1- Moped-Mobile
Moped and snowmobile in one, for travel around campus
Idea 2- Adhesive Sandpaper Soles
Added traction to any shoes
Idea 3- FlakePhoto Camera
Take pictures of snowflakes and digitize the pattern
Idea 4- Snowshoes To Go
Snap on snoeshoes to any pair of shoes to walk in the snow
Idea 5- Mitten Mobile Screens
Bluetooth linked mitten screen for your smartphone. Nose useable, rather than your mitten-clad fingers.
Idea 6- Fabric Booties
Idea 7- Eliminate Material
Idea 8- LCD Reflector Panels
Idea 9- Boot Shovel
Idea 10- Rubber Closure