The Spring/Summer 2007 issue of Educators' Spotlight Digest (ESD), the
free online publication of S.O.S. for Information Literacy, has just come out and has a great article called "Librarian Challenge: Reaching College Freshmen." Particularly take a look at the interview segment with librarian, Michael Pasqualoni.
Here's a summary snippet taken from the article:
Freshman Teaching Tips
Here are a few excellent tips garnered from Pasqualoni and Galloway:
* Chunk lessons into a beginning, middle and ending
* Use mixed media and approaches to keep interest (e.g., instructor lecture, video clips & student interaction)
* Experiment and try new techniques (e.g., "Radical Syllabus" exercise )
* Ask students "what interests you?"
* Distribute helpful handouts
* Be "Presentation-Proofed" by carrying material in several formats
* Plan a â€śLibrary Lock-Inâ€? event and create excitement