Workshops, presentations and consultations I have done in the past

I was recently asked for a list of workshops, presentations, and consultations I have done in the past to supplement this book. In this document I pulled from some of the titles and descriptions I have used in the past and thought I'd post it here in case others are interested.

Creating the One-Shot Options for Workshops, Presentations, Consultation

Gorilla Approaches to Instructional Design

I just got off the phone with a librarian from major state university who is bringing me in for a half-day workshop. Given what she called a "catastrophic" economic situation in her state and university it became clear to me that I could not do a business-as-usual approach to teaching instructional design to librarians.

I talked her through 3 different approaches that focus on quick, effective approaches to designing library workshops. The intent is not to freak out the participants with a design process that would bog them down and cause them even more stress and demands on their time.

Here are three approaches that I recommended. Perhaps they will be useful to others thinking about how to get the most bang for the buck in these difficult financial times where everybody is stretched to the n-th degree.

Approach 1:

Focus on meeting discipline-agnostic instructional needs that span the library. For example:

- novices finding 3 scholarly articles using Academic Search Premier,
- grads finding a known item from a citations,
- undergraduates assessing whether or not an article is considered scholarly or not

Assign small teams one need each. They are expected to go through the full instructional design process, including developing the lesson plan, visuals/handouts, and exercises. Each need should translate to one – or two – discrete modules (10-20 minutes). Make these available with the expectation that all the librarians will be able to plug these modules into their classes with minimal adaption. This leaves each librarian with only a segment of their class that they will have to design on their own.

Approach 2:

Focus on individual mastery over a few, key steps in the instructional design process. Fill in the rest of the process using your current design approach. The areas I think have the most impact and are most worth focusing on are:

- Step 1 – Needs Assessment
- Step 4 – Filtering Content
- Step 6 – Task Analysis (although greatly abbreviate)
- Step 12 – Teaching Methods (also abbreviated)

Approach 3:

Facilitate/encourage/nurture a change in mindset in how we often approach teaching in libraries; give library instructors some concrete tools they can immediately implement to make their classes more effective.

The focus would be on these kinds of questions:

- What is information overload?
- How do we contribute to it?
- What are ways to structure our classes so that students learn what we want them to learn and avoid being overloaded and frustrated?

This is a more light-weight approach that mostly just focuses on step 12. Combining this with Step 1- needs assessment - would be a good combination.

Is In-Person or Online Instruction Better?

This is a question that has been asked and studied about for ages. Claudia Stanny from the University of West Florida provided a citation today in a "POD" listserv post to a meta-analysis of 40 years of research comparing online and face-to-face instruction.

But first, her summary:

"The bottom line is that the quality of pedagogy used trumps the medium. Engaging pedagogies produce superior learning outcomes to passive learning pedagogies. If the online class has the more engaging pedagogy, online learning is better. If these strategies characterize the face-to-face class, face-to-face instruction looks better."

Maki, R. H., & Maki, W. S. (2007). Online courses. In F. T. Durson (Ed.), Handbook of applied cognition (2nd ed.). Chichester: Wiley. (pp. 527-552)

Check these out! A list of 25 education blogs

As you know, as teachers and instructional designers we're a big part of the education field and sometimes less part of the library "industry.", yet we tend to read our own blogs, publications and go to our own conferences. So yes, I know - you already have enough to read, enough to do - but for those looking to better align yourself with the field of education, check out this recent listserv post:

Hake, R.R. 2008. "Thirty-two Education Blogs," AERA-L post of 7 Nov 2008 16:38:18-080; online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://tinyurl.com/6leyj6>.

New Worksheets/Handouts available

We had a great instructional design workshop as an ACRL preconference at the Midwinter meeting of the Annual Library Conference in Seattle. We even had a guest teacher from the Minnesota Historical Society who taught a segment of a lesson plan that I have included in the Creating the One-Shot Library Workshop book. If you've got the book, check it out on page 115.

A heads-up to you all is that for the Seattle workshop I redid the worksheets.

For those of you who haven't gone through one of my workshops, the worksheets can be used as a guide when designing your own workshops. They can be used with the book, or on their own. The link for the worksheets are near the top of this page.

For those of you who have taken my workshop prior to the Seattle one, the main changes are the addition of a checklist after each step that I pulled from theCreating the One-Shot Library Workshop book. I also added in much more detailed information in the evaluation step since I don't usually cover that enough during the workshop.

Tips for Instructional Designers

The best train-the-trainer training I've experienced was done by a company called Langevin Learning Services. I hope you'll find their "tips for instructional designers" to be helpful:

Performance-Based Focus
1. Base the content on the learners’ job tasks.
2. Break tasks down into step-by-step “how to? instructions.
3. Minimize “nice-to-know? information.
4. Target content to the experience level of the learners.
5. Design exercises that simulate the job tasks.
6. Design activities that will help learners transfer the skills learned to their job.
7. Design course materials to be job aids.
8. Build principles of adult learning into the course.
9. Structure the course content according to how the job is performed.
10. Spend about 1/3 of the course time on the presentation of content.
11. Allow about 2/3 of the course time for application (i.e. practice) and feedback.
12. Validate the course with a representative sample of the learner population.

Go to the pdf version here.

Attracting Attention with your Workshop Titles

If you're out there building one-shot stand-alone workshops that no one is coming to - perhaps one of the problems is a workshop title that falls flat and doesn't entice participation. I discuss workshop titles and descriptions in Step 1: Needs Assessment (page 27), but found a really good blog entry by my favorite marketing guru, Robbert Middleton, that I think is worth visiting.

Middleton is actually talking about the title of a program he offers, and not a one-shot workshop - but the idea is the same. His key advice is to make sure your title is benefit-oriented, that it addresses the problem and that it gives your learners what they want. Read the whole entry on "The More Clients Blog."

The idea is to use a great title and description to attract learners to your workshops that wouldn't ordinarily come. Give it a try and see if it makes a difference!

Other resources list now populated

I finally took some time to populate the part of my book site called "Other Resources."

I tried to be reductive and hold back from adding everything that might be useful so this is just a slim "need to know" list. Please take a look and feel free to add other resources in the comments area.