« Orthodox Jews Host Amish Walking Tour of NYC | Main | 3 Winona High School Student face Theft Charges »

Google Street View Car Mobbed in UK

A group of villagers in southern England chase the Google Street View car out of their community Friday, AFP reports.

Members of the upper-class community of Broughton feared that having their houses appear on Google would tempt thieves and called police shortly after seeing the vehicle, CNN reports.

Paul Jacops alerted neighbors and police after seeing the vehicle from his house.

"My immediate reaction was anger: How dare anyone take a photograph of my home without my consent?" Jacobs told CNN. "I ran outside to flag the car down and told the driver he was not only invading our privacy but also facilitating crime."

Police arrived to find a dispute between neighborhood residents and the Google contractor.

"They felt his presence was an intrusion of their privacy. When police arrived at the scene, the car had moved on," explained a spokeswoman for Thames Valley Police.

Google Street View is Google's effort to give 360-degree views of streets on three continents.

Google is confident that its Street View project is entirely legal.

A Google spokesman told UK Press Association that all the images in Google Street View abided by UK law.

"Embarking on new projects, we sometimes encounter unexpected challenges, and Street View has been no exception," the spokesman said.