Yale student dies in science lab when lab machine snags her hair

According to the Star Tribune, A Yale University student about to graduate, was killed inside a university chemistry lab when her hair was pulled into a rotating lathe, a type of lab machine, school officials said Wednesday.

The Star Tribune reported that senior physics and astronomy major Michele Dufault, died Tuesday night while working on her senior thesis. Her body was found by other students in the lab, university President Richard Levin said.

The Connecticut medical examiner's office said that Dufault died from accidental asphyxia by neck compression, reported the Star Tribune.

According to the New York Times, students and Yale staff members were devastated by Dufault's death on Wednesday, and in a letter to students Linda Koch Lorimer, a Yale vice president, called her death a "terrible accident", also stating that couselors would be open for grieving students.

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by kade0025 published on April 15, 2011 11:20 AM.

Aftershocks in Japan are leading to "phantom quakes" was the previous entry in this blog.

St. Paul man killed after breaking up bar fight is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.